Rec Diver splurge? Cheapo, Petrel 2, or OSTC Sport

Which computer would you go with for a rec diver who plans to dive 2x a year. No tech diving ever.

• Aeris A300 (Oceanic VEO 2.0) - ($200 + $90 cable)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Deep6 upcoming computer ($140 + $20 cable)

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Used Shearwater Petrel 2 (around $500)

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • New OSTC Sport (around $560 USD new. Seems unlikely to find used.)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • None, just rent/use what shops have

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ls1dreams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm a recreational diver with only 17 dives done, but really enjoy it. I plan to dive at least once per year on vacation, and maybe 1 other long weekend trip.

About me:

- Plan to never do tech diving. Will stay within 30m and NDL limits always unless something goes wrong.
- May try nitrox
- Would like a nice screen, but not sure it's worth the $400+ splurge compared to a basic dive computer
- Customizable gradient factors seem nice - I think I want to run around 40/80 or 40/85 if possible
- Definitely prefer to run Buhlman, or very close to it. I care more about safety than time underwater. (DSAT seems risky to me given that ~ 50% of people bend within NDL limits, so pushing surface values to 95% of the m-value seems rather dumb to me)

Would you splurge on something like a Petrel 2 / OSTC Sport to get the better screen, or just go with a cheapo DC?

(Poll attached)

What kind of water do you normally dive in?

That would dictate what kind of screen display.

Check out this video. It's a little long in the tooth, but goes over very well why or why you might not like a style of screen for the conditions of your diving....

_R

i dive a petrel currently, but bought a used oceanic off this board early on. still dive it on vacation.

getting a used oceanic computer is another option if you can't really wait for the deep6.

Personally, after using/acquiring a wide range of computers from cheaper "Puck" LCD to brick LED screen computers ....

The 'cheapo' (Say a Veo 2.0) wins most categories, except dark, low vis diving. Decent price, decent layout and "computness" if you want it (DSAT or P? .... DSAT is very close to PADI tables btw). Batteries last a long time, cheaper, smaller, etc.

For LED screen, Shearwater wins IMO. Predator all the way to Perdix AI. I have a Petrel 2, I don't use the compass, unless I need to remember a thrid/fourth bearing for a dive ... I normally just use a cheap analogue compass on wrist/scooter mount)

_R

What kind of water do you normally dive in?

That would dictate what kind of screen display.

Check out this video. It's a little long in the tooth, but goes over very well why or why you might not like a style of screen for the conditions of your diving....

_R

I'm relatively new so would be looking for easier low current / hi-vis type conditions. With that said, I LOVED my night dive on my liveaboard at the GBR. So, I suppose that's a factor, though it's not like it's a huge deal to shine a torch on the DC.

I'm relatively new so would be looking for easier low current / hi-vis type conditions. With that said, I LOVED my night dive on my liveaboard at the GBR. So, I suppose that's a factor, though it's not like it's a huge deal to shine a torch on the DC.

Sounds like either screen type would suit you. Most (if not all modern) LCD displays have a backlight button, so no need to use your light on the display.

If you want to spend the money on a LED display, go right a head, but sounds as if most/all your diving is in warmer 'tropicalish' clear water. Either will work just fine.

I only swapped over to a LED display is for local diving where I am. Most dives during the day are actually night dives once you're in the water at any depth (due to water visibility). Tropical trips, I'd rather carry down an extra set of batteries or a camera part vs bringing the LED computer down instead of the LCD (or both) in my baggage .....

_R

- How do you plan to get an OSTC, if you decide to go that way? The only way I know of is to either go to Europe (or Canada?) and buy one there, or have a friend in Europe (or Canada) buy it for you and ship it to you. I seriously considered this option myself, and probably would have done it, if they had AI.

- I think the OSTC Sport uses Buhlmann, but you cannot set custom GF. It just has a few presets to choose from. I think you have to step up to the OSTC Plus or OSTC 4 to get custom GF capability. Also, I don't think too much of the buttons on the OSTC Sport. I think they stick out too far and would press by accident too easily. The Petrel/Perdix buttons don't stick out at all and I know at least 2 people that have had inadvertent gas switches from accidental button presses on a Petrel or Perdix. For that reason, I would definitely prefer the OSTC Plus or 4 over the OSTC Sport. However, that is all my impression just based on the pictures, so definitely take my opinion on the buttons with a grain of salt!

- Have you considered a Hollis TX-1? You can get one brand new for $475 (the last time I emailed LeisurePro for a price, anyway). Used ones go for $300 - 400, just depending. The TX-1 runs pure Buhlmann w/Gradient Factors. I have one. I'm selling it to a buddy now that I got my Perdix AI, but I think it's a good option for a reasonably inexpensive computer that runs pure Buhlmann w/GF.

I recently switched to Perdix AI from a Luna (before that a Puck). The color LED screen or whatever it is is amazing.

BTW, I would get a Perdix or Perdix AI over the Petrel 2 for recreational. It's smaller and longer battery life.

Last edited:
One thing you may want to consider, in choosing a dive computer, is the operating system and the ease of use. My first DC was an Aeris Elite T3 with AI, which is pretty similar to the Oceanic VT3 and the Hollis DG03. The operating system on that computer is absolutely dreadful, obtuse and confusing, and the "manual" was even worse. I recently upgraded to a Petrel 2 (only in part because of the gorgeous screen ) and it is so intuitive and easy to use, I almost didn't need to read the manual. I can highly recommend Shearwater products, though a Petrel will have far more features than you (or I for that matter) will probably ever need. I bought it for the OS and the screen.

If you are going to be a casual user of a DC as you say, then I would suggest a computer with a user-friendly OS that you don't need to spend hours re-learning each time you use it, as I did with my Aeris. When you have narrowed down your selection, spend some time on-line and see how they operate, and read the manuals to get a feel for how easy, or not, they are to use.

Best of luck

- How do you plan to get an OSTC, if you decide to go that way? The only way I know of is to either go to Europe (or Canada?) and buy one there, or have a friend in Europe (or Canada) buy it for you and ship it to you. I seriously considered this option myself, and probably would have done it, if they had AI.

The easiest way to get an OSTC is to buy direct and get it shipped. That's what I did with mine and arrived in Australia within a week.

- I think the OSTC Sport uses Buhlmann, but you cannot set custom GF. It just has a few presets to choose from. I think you have to step up to the OSTC Plus or OSTC 4 to get custom GF capability.

Incorrect. There are 3 preset GFs that you can easily select (I can't remember off the top of my head what they are) but you can also set a custom GF to anything you like.

Also, I don't think too much of the buttons on the OSTC Sport. I think they stick out too far and would press by accident too easily. The Petrel/Perdix buttons don't stick out at all and I know at least 2 people that have had inadvertent gas switches from accidental button presses on a Petrel or Perdix

That's not really a problem, I find the buttons very usable. They have quite a strong spring, and need a solid push all the way down. I have never pressed on inadvertently.

For that reason, I would definitely prefer the OSTC Plus or 4 over the OSTC Sport.

I am still unsure whether I would consider an upgrade to the Plus, or even if given my choice again whether I would choose the plus over the Sport. I think I like the non-rechargeable battery of the Sport, which also allows the option of a NiMH cell, albeit with considerably shorter life.

However, that is all my impression just based on the pictures, so definitely take my opinion on the buttons with a grain of salt!

You have included a lot of misinformation. Maybe it is better to keep your comments and advice for equipment that you actually know about.

I have no regrets with my OSTC Sport. I love the form factor and the usability, and the purchase, shipping, forum support, BT down load and firmware upgrades have all been seamless.

Back
Top Bottom