Rec to Cave: Training and Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completed my Cavern / Intro Cave course recently using my comfortable ScubaPro BC, with a slung AL40 as the redundant air source. I could have used doubles & BP/wing but I've only recently had experience (AN/DP course) with that setup and am not entirely comfortable with it yet. I was comfortable with a slung AL40. The only strange thing (to me) was adding a pocket on my waist band web for backup mask and lights. I didn't trust my BC pockets as I've had the zipper open up unbeknownst to me previously. But it wasn't uncomfortable and worked well for the class.

As others have said, Merica, go with the gear you're already comfortable using. If you want to do cave training in a dry suit, then dive, dive, dive with a dry suit first. Good luck and have fun with it!

TDI Intro Cave also has penetration limited to 1/3 for single tank and 1/6 for doubles. That restriction for doubles is completely artificial IMHO (though I'll abide by it when I get more comfortable with doubles and start using them.)

Thank you everyone for all the positive feedback. I know this is a slightly old thread but i am still toying with the idea of sidemount or backmount. Backmount would probably be the easiest seeing as how i already dive on a back plate and wing that can easily handle doubles. The only concern that I have and correct me if i am wrong, is if i show up with an AOW card i doubt that any place would let me dive with or rent doubles. So is there a class that i would need to take to allow me to go to dive sites just to practice with doubles. Futhermore, I decided that I am going to hold off on the cave classes, i still might get cavern this summer until i am comfortable with all the gear that i would be using.

Thank you everyone for all the positive feedback. I know this is a slightly old thread but i am still toying with the idea of sidemount or backmount. Backmount would probably be the easiest seeing as how i already dive on a back plate and wing that can easily handle doubles. The only concern that I have and correct me if i am wrong, is if i show up with an AOW card i doubt that any place would let me dive with or rent doubles. So is there a class that i would need to take to allow me to go to dive sites just to practice with doubles. Futhermore, I decided that I am going to hold off on the cave classes, i still might get cavern this summer until i am comfortable with all the gear that i would be using.

I of course can't speak for all shops, but I think if they have doubles they will rent them to you even with an AOW card. However, most shops don't have a supply of rental doubles since most divers that dive doubles own their own. If you went sidemount, you could rent two AL80s (which should be easy to find at any dive shop) and put on your own rigging.

I of course can't speak for all shops, but I think if they have doubles they will rent them to you even with an AOW card. However, most shops don't have a supply of rental doubles since most divers that dive doubles own their own. If you went sidemount, you could rent two AL80s (which should be easy to find at any dive shop) and put on your own rigging.

Really? I know loads of shops all around the world where i can hire a twinset

You have to find the right shop, but renting doubles with AOW shouldn't be an issue.

If I was you, I would look to borrow a set of doubles from a friend or someone that you know from the dive shop. Diving doubles takes a few dives to get used to and then a few more to get comfortable and "really experience them". Shops around me usually charge between 30-40 dollars a day for doubles. I absolutely hate renting equipment and do everything in my power to borrow it from people.

Not sure where you are/were planning on taking your training classes (or where you're located), but most shops in cave country have doubles you can rent, although you may have to do some calling ahead to reserve them and make sure the whole world doesn't show up the same time as you and rent hem all up :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom