Reccos on USB AA charger (anyone used Survival Frog?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going somewhere where I have to charge off of a USB cord (power coming from a solar panel to battery w/ USB outputs)

I don't even know what to do with Amazon reviews anymore. They're all over the place.

So looking for recommendation for a USB charger for my strobe AA's. (Eneloops, unless someone else has better recommendations)

Speaking of which -- anyone used these "Survival Frog" batteries? Very strange looking:

https://smile.amazon.com/EasyPower-Rechargeable-Batteries-Pack-4-Port/dp/B072R2SWXX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=usb+aa+charger&qid=1557545149&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

USB-Battery-Pack_4Port_2048x.jpg

Ansmann works well, reliable chargers, the EBL is also nice. The batteries here are probably very low capacity Li cells at 1.2 V sitting in a AA can. I would not recommend the batteries in any way. If you are going to use other size batteries besides AA then I would get one of the chargers that can charge all sizes
Cheers
Bill

I wouldn't use them. Have a look at this thread for some reviews on travel USB chargers: Travelling light - Chargers and batteries - Trip Reports and Travel Depending on what sort of USB ports are provided charge times might be long there are 1 and 2 amp USB ports. So it might pay to have a full spare set of NiMH batteries so you can swap them out and leave them on charge all day.

From their own info: [1450mAh 1.2V NiMH AA USB Battery Charger Plugs into Any USB Device]
So, you are giving up 600-100mAh over an Eneloop, depending on which you buy (2000, vs 2450), IF (big if) they live up to their own specs. I would not go there. It's a gizmo attached to a battery > more stuff to go wrong.

For light, reliable, inexpensive USB charger it's hard to go wrong with a Liitokala Lii-402. Charges almost any chemistry and size.
If you are content with 2 bays they make a Li-202.

If you want to do your own digging this is an excellent resource. The man does independent testing, and is damn good. I wouldn't buy anything he has not recommended.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55264#new

From their own info: [1450mAh 1.2V NiMH AA USB Battery Charger Plugs into Any USB Device]
So, you are giving up 600-100mAh over an Eneloop, depending on which you buy (2000, vs 2450), IF (big if) they live up to their own specs. I would not go there. It's a gizmo attached to a battery > more stuff to go wrong.

For light, reliable, inexpensive USB charger it's hard to go wrong with a Liitokala Lii-402. Charges almost any chemistry and size.
If you are content with 2 bays they make a Li-202.

If you want to do your own digging this is an excellent resource. The man does independent testing, and is damn good. I wouldn't buy anything he has not recommended.
Thank you so much for the recco of the LiiokalaLii-402! I was hoping someone would have a recommendation!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom