Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Vista Point today, May 16. Water temp was 70s in the shallows with vis extremely poor. I took a tangent off the closer wall down to the rail. Here the temp was around 63 and the vis was about 20 feet. I followed the rail down to 100 into cooler water (57) and the vis remained decent.

Lots of boat traffic but unlike BP, there was no crowd on the shore. Good day at the lake.

PD

Vista Point was Diver Central yesterday. We were on the north side closest to the 4 lane ramp. Bill and I met and dove with Neil. There were some boaters that had set up camp the night before. As we were setting our dive flags by the shore they told us there would be at least 4 boats coming in and out from there. I could hear the circus clown music already.

Bill and I both set dive bouys. In fact there were no less than 5 dive bouys in the water when we descended on our first dive. It's THAT time of year again. If you have a bouy you should set it. If you don't have one and plan to dive in the lake with any kind of regularity (like a few sick lake dogs we know) you should get one.

On the first dive we descended next to our bouy and took a heading of 330º to the near wall, then back-tracked it to the boat ramp. We found the rail and followed it down. Vis was arm's length from the surface to about 60 feet. After that it opened up to 10-20 feet. It got better as we went deeper. Gone are the days when you could look up from 110 feet and see the sun. Dive lights are again standard equipment. We turned and made our way back to the area of our bouy. We overshot it by a bit but hey, I haven't had to really navigate for a while with all the great vis we were having.

When we surfaced we noticed something new had been added. It seems that all our dive bouys were making little bouys...somehow. Oh yeah, there was a nav class going on. John (I think it was John) had taken some old Tide bottles and anchored them in a square pattern. Honestly, all you have to do is rub off the Tide labels, paint a white stripe across them and you have a passable diver down bouy. They were even the right color. It really made a statement to see a line of dive bouys. Kept those boats away too. :wink:

All in all a great dive day. Congrats to the grads from the navigation class and rescue class. See you at the lake.

Steve.

Last edited:
Dove the west side of the lake with Steve and Josh on Monday morning (05/25/09). Thermocline right at 24'. Visibility ranged between poor and "... hey, where did everybody go?" Came accross one of the lake's monster catfish. We figured 5' to 6' in lenght.

Regards, Bill

Dove VP yesterday. Like Scubasteve2000 reported for the 23rd: lousy vis in the shallows. We did a few dives out to the rail. Wee came across a boat laadder tangled with an anchor for anyone interested. Just a few divers on the 24th. Really fun day in the deeps.

It's still very cold below the thermocline at 24'. If you plan on diving deeper than that, I would suggest a 7mm with a hood. In the shallower water, a 5mm should be more than sufficient

Regards, Bill

I have been diving a 3mm for about 3 weeks no hood or gloves though most dives are shallower and I am only in cool water for 10 -15 minutes than back to the shallows

It was me & 2 buddies. Got to 64' the visability was about 10' at times. Thermocline @ 35'
Wore 7mil 2 piece no hood no gloves & was ok. However I wished I had brought hood & gloves & flashlight. It was a nice dive with better than expected visibility.

Found a cheapie LED flashlight down there as well as a round boat anchor & saw 3 fish. Also saw one painter turtle on surface poking his head out.

Will be out there again in probably 2 weeks.
-Sean

Dove VP today. Awesome day! Few boats and no people except for another dive party. Gary from Scuba Magic had some of his students finishing various classes. The vis was 10 feet or so in the shallows, 3-5 feet between 20 feet-60 feet, and 20 feet in the deeps. The lake is warming. You don't hit 57 degrees until around 70 feet. All-in-all a great day at the lake.

PD

Two dives with Steve (ScubaSteve2000) this morning at Vista Point. Visability at depth was better than anticipated (15' to 20') however, cold and dark (mid 50's). Boat traffic in the area was surprisingly light.

Ran into John and Skip from Scuba Academy who were conducting an advanced Nitrox class.

Regards, Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom