recipes from the Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
Beef Broccoli

1 1/2 lbs of boneless Beef, sliced
3 lbs of Broccoli
2 tsp Ginger, Minced
1tsp Garlic, minced
2 c. Beef Broth (4 cubes, and 2 cups of water)
1/3c reduced sodium Soy Sauce
1 Tbs. Cornstarch w/2Tbs Water

Saute beef with boullion cubes, garlic and ginger. When browned add 2 c. water and soy sauce. Let simmer on low for 20 min. Thicken sauce with cornstarch/water.
Add broccoli, heat thru and serve.

I love to have extra sauce so I just double the fluids and seasoning.

I always make extra sauce, love the sauce, :11ztongue also you could subsitute bok choy for the broccoli for a change.

that sounds interesting...I'll give it a try. Do you remove the spines (is that what they are called?) of the leaves?

justleesa:
Kalua Pork
2lbs boneless pork
1 1/2 Tbs Hawaiian salt
2/3c Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 clove garlic & 1 sm piece of ginger (crushed)
2tsp liquid smoke

Mix all ingredients (except meat and cabbage) and rub it on the meat. Place meat in the pan, added the marinade and seal with aluminum. Bake in oven for 3 1/2 hours at 357f. Add the cabbage (cut up), reseal and back for another 30 min.

The meat will just fall apart., mix it up with the cabbage.

This is exactly the recipe that I was given... if I were to make it again I wouldn't add the salt. The soy sauce is salty enough.

I think I'll make this one tonight for tomorrow's dinner. Good thing about the salt, as I don't have any Hawaiin salt, and most important; where's the cabbage?

Last edited by a moderator:
dlndavid:
I think I'll make this one tonight for tomorrow's dinner. Good thing about the salt, as I don't have any Hawaiin salt, and most important; where's the cabbage?

Add the cabbage (cut up), reseal and back for another 30 min

I added a head right away and it was pretty much gone after 3.5 hours. I added more and it was just perfect. Maybe if you add it at one hour to go it would be better because you would be adding more, which would lower the overall temp. Let me know how it was

ahh - good ole' mango bread - I have a friend that bakes 6 loaves every week this time of year ... and he can't eat any of it - so I try to help out :wink:

I like the sound of the bok choy substitution too - I'll have to give that a try...

Tim

kidspot:
ahh - good ole' mango bread - I have a friend that bakes 6 loaves every week this time of year ... and he can't eat any of it - so I try to help out :wink:

I like the sound of the bok choy substitution too - I'll have to give that a try...

Tim

It's getting close to dinner time for me, I like the sound of food. :wink:

And my wife lets me use her mangos to make margaritas, sometimes.

kidspot:
Tim

I love mango bread - but the days of when you had too many mangoes to know what to do with are long gone.

I remember that everyone used to give us mangoes from their back yards - we would even refuse some because we already had so much. Now you have to buy your mangoes at the supermarket - and they're not cheap.

I can't even remember the last time I had green mango w/shoyu and pepper.

Oh and Happy Birthday Chepar :partytime

justleesa:
Kalua Pork
2lbs boneless pork
1 med cabbage
1 1/2 Tbs Hawaiian salt
2/3c Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 clove garlic & 1 sm piece of ginger (crushed)
2tsp liquid smoke

Mix all ingredients (except meat and cabbage) and rub it on the meat. Place meat in the pan, added the marinade and seal with aluminum. Bake in oven for 3 1/2 hours at 375f. Add the cabbage (cut up), reseal and back for another 30 min.

The meat will just fall apart., mix it up with the cabbage.

This is exactly the recipe that I was given... if I were to make it again I wouldn't add the salt. The soy sauce is salty enough.

It turned out great and very easy to prepare. I added 1 can of chunky pineapple and some teriyaki sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom