recipes from the Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar:
I love mango bread - but the days of when you had too many mangoes to know what to do with are long gone.

I remember that everyone used to give us mangoes from their back yards - we would even refuse some because we already had so much. Now you have to buy your mangoes at the supermarket - and they're not cheap.

I can't even remember the last time I had green mango w/shoyu and pepper.

Come on over to Maui ... We have had so many mangos this year (that the wind usually blows down) that we can't keep up with em' giving them away, picking 3 times each day and they are still falling faster than we can pick/use/give them away :wink: We have 5 trees on our property with 4 producing well this year - It's been fun! We even pick them and set them on the wall for people passing by to have ... still dozens fall every night on the ground :( I've been away for 2 weeks, so I'm wondering if the season will be about over when I get home or the yard will just be full of mangos lol

btw - belated birthday wishes...

Aloha, Tim

Well dang it Tim, you got all this islands mangos then. Wanna trade for some white pineapple?

dlndavid:
Oh and Happy Birthday Chepar :partytime

kidspot:
We have had so many mangos this year (that the wind usually blows down) that we can't keep up with em' giving them away, picking 3 times each day and they are still falling faster than we can pick/use/give them away We have 5 trees on our property with 4 producing well this year - It's been fun! We even pick them and set them on the wall for people passing by to have ... still dozens fall every night on the ground :( I've been away for 2 weeks, so I'm wondering if the season will be about over when I get home or the yard will just be full of mangos lol

btw - belated birthday wishes...

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Well, it sounds like Maui still has quantities of mangoes like the old days. I can see it now - all the locals from Oahu trying to fit bags of mangoes into the overhead compartments of Aloha Airlines - in addition to their boxes of Krispy Kreme, manju and mochi. :D

I also remember when people would give away lichee and breadfruit from their backyards. Maybe not quite as plentiful as mango, but it was pretty common. My grandmother used to have a big lichee tree - every year we had so much. Now you have to either know someone from the neighbor islands or you have to buy it at the farmer's market.

I got this in the mail this morning - Sounds good.

Sorbet is the quintessential summer dessert: low in fat, icy, and refreshing, with a fresh fruit base instead of the heavier dairy of ice cream. And for this fabulous tropical-inspired recipe, you don’t even need an ice-cream maker!

Lime and papayas are a sweet-tart marriage made on some island paradise. And the sorbet is a cool breeze to make. Find out how here:

INGREDIENTS

8 cups peeled, seeded, and diced ripe papaya
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup “lite” coconut milk, divided
2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
1 teaspoon lime zest, divided
2 pinches salt

Freeze papaya overnight in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment.
In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is syrupy, about 4 minutes. Pour the syrup into a glass measuring cup and allow to cool 15 minutes. While syrup cools, remove papaya from freezer and allow to defrost.
Place half the frozen papaya in a food processor. Add half the syrup, 2 tablespoons of the coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon lime zest and a pinch of salt. Pulse twice, then process until smooth, pausing to scrape the sides and stir as necessary. Transfer to a serving bowl, then repeat process with remaining ingredients, adding them to the serving bowl when smooth.

Serve immediately or freeze until ready to serve.

Serves 8.

justleesa:
Papaya Lime Sorbet

OK, I made this yesterday.....OMG! Excellent!! Served it with a small dab of cool whip and a drizzel of strawberry sauce....I think I might go into production!!!

Here's the recipe for the cookies I brought to the Scubaboard get together yesterday....

I originally found the recipe in a "Sunsets magazine", however, I have changed the ingredients a bit to have more of a Tropical Flair :crafty:

Coconut Tropical Fruit Chews

Ingredients (makes 6 dozen)
  • 1 1/2 cup flaked dried coconut
  • 1 1/2 cup butter (room temp)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tbl. sp. grated orange peel
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 lg. egg
  • 3 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cup SunMaid "tropical trio" dried fruit (pineapple, mango and papaya)

Instructions
  1. In a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar, orange peel and vanilla until smooth. (note: if you thought the cookies were too zesty, you can omit or decrease the orange peel ingredient). Beat in egg until well blended.
  2. In a medium bow, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. Add to the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Stir to mix, then beat on low speed until dough comes together - about 5 minutes.
  4. Mix in coconut and tropical fruit
  5. shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on buttered cookie sheets. Squash balls down to flatten.
  6. Bake in a 350 degree oven until cookie edges just begin to brown - about 9 -12 minutes

Here is the recipe that I received several requests for....

Its your standard spinach dip recipe from Knorr w/ a little island flair :crafty:

Maui Onion Spinach Dip

Ingredients
  • 10 oz frozen chopped spinach (squeeze dry - really)
  • 16 oz of sour cream
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 package Knorr vegetable recipe mix
  • 8 oz of water chestnuts - chopped as small as possible
  • about 1 tsp garlic powder (this is to taste, I just toss it in until I'm happy
  • about 1 tsp of Hot Season Salt (again to your taste)
  • 1/2 cup of sweet maui onion - chopped as small as possible (this you could go more for those sweet maui onion lovers out there)

Instructions
  1. Mix altogether
  2. Chill for a minimum of 2 hours (gets better overnight)
  3. Enjoy

Ok. Last recipe from the SB get together:

This one requires a lot of taste testing...

Brushetta Dip

Ingredients
  • Roma tomatoes chopped
  • Fresh Basil chopped
  • Fresh chopped garlic
  • garlic infused extra virgin olive oil
  • dash of sugar
  • dash of salt
  • sliced baquette bread
  • fresh shredded parmesan or romano cheese

Instructions

This recipe is a - make it to your taste recipe. I used about 8 roma tomatoes for the batch at the picnic, probably 3 tbl. of fresh chopped basil and about 1/4 cup chopped fresh garlic. The olive oil I add until the rest of the ingredients were swimming in it. Of course this is really to your taste, just keep adding ingredients until the mixture meets your taste buds. :)

Do not chill, this is a make and serve dish - a couple hours to marinate is good (but not in the frig).

Either serve as dip with baquette slices on the side, or top a spoonful on top of each bread slice and serve at a fancy dinner party :wink:

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom