recipes from the Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may not be lucky enough to live in Hawai'i, but I do hail from an island. Thanks for the great recipes - I felt I had to contribute...

CHICKEN ADOBO

Ingredients:

1 regular sized chicken, cut into pieces
1 tbsp salt or soy sauce (I opt for the soy sauce)
1 teaspoon peppercorn
3 pieces bay leaf (laurel)
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
a head garlic, macerated
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon of coriander seeds is optional

Recipe:
1.) Clean and cut chicken
2.) In a pot put oil. Bring to medium high heat
3.) Add garlic, then chicken and peppercorn. Sear lightly then add vinegar, water, soy sauce and laurel.
4.) Let simmer until tender.
5.) If water is needed, add 1/2 cup water at a time.
6.) Done in about 40-50 minutes. Serve hot.

There are a lot of variations and additional ingredients to this dish. Some people like to brown the chicken first. My university roomies loved it. Hope you guys like it too!

Aloha Pearl
Thanks for the great food at the the get together. And you made those killer cookies too?
The recipes will be much used I hope
Aloha Turtleguy aka Roger

Time to resurrect this thread I think :wink:

I was reading the old thread about local grinds and figured it was about time for a Kalua Pig recipe :D

Actually this is "lazy man's Kalua pig" You can substitute a turkey for the pork (very ONO) place the meat in a plastic baking bag (you know those big plastic bags for cooking turkey's in?) Rub 1 or 2 big handfuls of Hawaiian salt all over the meat (inside too for turkeys) add 2 tablespoon of liquid smoke. Seal the bag and cook. For a large Turkey (24#) I start it at 375* for 30 min, then turn down to 225* and let it slowly cook for 6hrs. Remove from the oven and shred with 2 large meat forks.

Then enjoy!

For "real" kalua pig here's what I do (This is LOTS of work, and please notify your local fire department first... I learned that the hard way lol)

Collect the following:
- 2-3 Banana Tree stumps 12ft worth at least (From that friend who just gave you some bananas off his tree yesterday - needs to be a fresh stump)
- 20-30 freshly cut Banana Leaves (Find in the same place as the stump)
- Chicken wire to cover area 6'x6'
- Lots of Kiawe wood (Mesquite) enough to burn 3hrs
- 2-5 gallon buckets filled with non-porous stones about palm sized (Don't get them from a stream and avoid lava rock - they explode)
- An "expendable" tarp 15'x15' approx (depends how big da' pit is)
- 5lb bag of Hawaiian salt
- 1 Shovel
- 1 very good friend (to help dig)
- 1 match (or 1 book if you are not good at lighting them)

Dig a hole (easiest in a sandy area... which I did not do) about 2' deep 4'x4' wide.
Line the hole with the stones you collected (and save the ones that don't explode for next time, as they can be hard to find)
Place a pile of tinder on the stones (Shredded newspaper works too - 1 gallon approx.)
Put a pile of small sticks on top of the tinder (pencil thickness or smaller - about 1 gallon worth)
Put a pile of Kindling (finger size sticks or smaller) on top.
Pile the Kiawe wood on top of the Kindling.
If you want to "cheat" you can just put the Kiawe wood in the hole and douse it in gasoline... but what fun is that ... other than the big "BOOM" when you light it :wink:

Light the fire and allow it to burn down to just coals and hot stones (90 min???)

Cut the banana stalks into 2' sections and then cut them in half lengthwise. (Machete works great for this... just be careful)

-Lay the banana stalks on the hot coals/rocks
-Cover the entire area with 1/2 of the banana leaves
-Lay the chicken wire over the banana leaves (helps in getting the pig/meat out later)
-After coating your meat (whole cleaned pig, several large turkeys, pork butt roast, whatever) with a generous coating of Hawaiian Salt place it on the chicken wire (make sure it's clean chicken wire) And if there is extra room put another turkey in (This is too much work not to make the most of it)
-Cover the meat with the remaining banana leaves
-Place the tarp over everything (make sure the coals are completely covered by banana "stuff") A wet canvas tarp is best, though I have used a "blue" tarp in a pinch ... but a canvas one is much better (pick up a drop cloth for painting)
-Bury the entire "structure" in sand/dirt - watch for any steam coming out - and pile some more sand on that area till there is no escaping steam.
- Pull out the ukulele's and guitars, talk story... wait for as long as you want (I leave mine 10-14 hrs.)
-Uncover the tarp, and remove it, carefully avoiding getting sand in the food.
-Remove the top layer of Banana leaves
-Using heavy gloves and as many friends as necessary, pick up the chicken wire "basket" of meat and place on a clean table.
-With "tongs" or large forks shred the meat off the bones and place in pans.
-Serve with rice, poi, and lots of friends.

The "Real" way tastes better, but the "quick" way is still a great way to enjoy Kalua pig/turkey any time.

Aloha, and Enjoy!
Tim

kidspot:
For "real" kalua pig here's what I do (This is LOTS of work, and please notify your local fire department first... I learned that the hard way lol)

Jeez begeez, Tim - you're going "über-local" on us! :wink: I would have said "native" - but I know how that's not PC.

That IS a ton of work - and if you're going to do it, you have to start real early in the morning. I should know - a couple years ago I was woken up at about 5:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning by the sounds of our neighbor digging an imu in his yard. The shovel and/or pickaxe would hit a rock every so often and I would hear this clanging/ringing sound. This was accompanied by about 4 other voices, all offering opinions on how much deeper the hole had to be, if they had enough ti leaves, etc. I was NOT happy being woken up that way.

lol - yup sounds like us - we decided to dig it in Lahaina soil (which is 6" deep max before it hits that giant "maui" rock.

we started the fire Wednesday about 11pm and it was ready about 10am Thursday morning (Thanksgiving day)

it is a bit of work, but it tastes sooo good...

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Next time i'll give my favorite Taro root recipe :p

Back
Top Bottom