Recommend a dive flag (at least 12x12 for florida)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a preferred type or brand of dive flag to tow along on a shore dive?

I'm planning to use my 100' reel that I normally carry for a surface marker.

Do you have a link?

Check out Brownies third lung. They have a 3D buoy that looks awesome. Expensive, but I think it may be the best diving buoy out there. Just my 2 cents.

Almost all dive shops I've been into in FL have relatively inexpensive flags with a styrofoam float and lead weight on the bottom. It's been a long time but I was thinking I paid $25 for mine. After 5 years it's pretty ratty, but it still works. I've been thinking of replacing it.

that's what i use...the generic dive flag from the generic dive shop.

Is there a preferred type or brand of dive flag to tow along on a shore dive?

I'm planning to use my 100' reel that I normally carry for a surface marker.
I think you would be much better off to use a reel with more line. It is partially dependent on depth, but you must let out considerable line when the current is brisk. I use a Manta Jr reel. It came with 250 feet of #24 line. I let out all of the line on a couple of occasions. I now have at least 300 feet of Dive Gear Express Hi-Viz dacron line loaded on the reel and have never used it all

I think Florida not only requires the larger size--but also specifies the flag MUST have a wire reinforcement diagonally to keep it "unfurled". Buying a flag/float in Florida pretty much should ensure it meets all the specs, but there's so much variety in floats and torpedos and all sorts of fancy rings these days.

Back
Top Bottom