Recommend a good mask for young (6 yrs.)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimiH

New
Reaction score
Greetings! :D

I have a young daughter (6 yrs old) who recently learned to swim and LOVES to snorkel.

I bought her a US Divers Youth Snorkel Set with fins, mask and a dry snorkel. This afternoon, she was complaining that her mask wasn't working right, and I saw that the purge valve was missing on her mask. Despite my best efforts to find the lost parts in/around the pool, they're lost and I want to get her a new mask (or parts to fix this one).

I'm tempted to just get her another set where I bought the first (BJ's Wholesale Club Outlet), but I question the quality of that model/set.

My question to you - What mask (or combo) would you recommend for a kid this age (6)?

I'd rather spend some money on quality gear for her, rather than buy her something that will disappoint. Living in New Jersey doesn't afford me the selection or personal attention I'd get at a good dive shop, and local toy stores don't carry high quality goods.

Any advice?

Thanks and be well!

Sincerely,
JimiH

Last edited:
Hi Jimi,

Seems my son took a similar route as your daughter to loving water and all the joy it brings. He is 14 now and never looked back once he got hooked and now working on achieving Master Scuba Diver.

Back when he was about the same age and just starting out I took him to our local dive shop and got him fitted up with snorkeling equipment. Dive shops do carry different sizes and usually from several manufacturers. At the time I was more worried about the fit and seal and I think he was more concerned about his favorite color... blue! With good guidance from the shop staff we both got what we wanted and that mask lasted him for 5-6 years and still works like new although the clear silicone has yellowed a bit.

If the snorkel and fins you already bought in the first set work fine for your current needs why buy another set and have duplicates you don't need and may never use? Your daughter will outgrow the fins in a year or two anyway. In my opinion, for me at least, the thrill of being underwater is primarily a visual experience. For that reason I am a bit picky about my mask, it's care and cleaning, and protecting it from harm. When it is time to buy a new mask I do rely on dive shops in my local area and shop from the selection they offer. My first and most important criteria is fit and seal. After that I am concerned about field of view. Other factors like color, price, etc really are not that highly important to me. If I have two masks that have similar fit and field of view I am thrifty enough to probably pick the mask with the lower price. I would never shop price alone as that, in my opinion, is a likely reason to have a disappointing experience. Don't forget that the added bonus of shopping your local dive shop is that provided you don't damage/scratch the mask most of them will give you a full credit exchange if you find it doesn't work as well as you thought it would in the water which is a lot better than just being stuck with it if you buy it somewhere else.

Now what I've just written probably sounds like an ad from the dive shop industry. In reality I'm just a dad and a diver who is also a scout leader and this is the same advice I give to all of our scouts who have questions when buying new gear.

Best wishes and happy snorkeling!

As a shop employee and Instructor I can say the above advice is spot on. Find a shop that sells kids masks. Most do and have her try them. If you're lucky they may even have a pool she can try them out in. Kids masks will be less expensive but still in the 20-40 dollar range depending on type. I have even seen a family buy their daughter who was 7 a prescription mask cause her vision was very bad. Well over 100 bucks but the look on her face in the water was worth it!

THese will be dive quality masks however and not toys. As such they have to be treated with care. Does she wear glasses? It should be treated the same. Rinsed after every dive, not left laying out in the sun, and not loaned to friends who may not realize it's value.

Being that she's a girl it may be easier to stick to this as girls are usually more responsible with their stuff. Usually. ANd save the money on not buying new fins and snorkel if the ones she has work. For the above reasons.

Also you did not state whether you are a diver but make sure when you get it you clean it well. Plain toothpaste and hot water. At least a few times and defog it for her. She will enjoy it more if she can see. When you buy it you can buy defog or make a mix of 50/50 baby shampoo and water. squirt a little in swish it around and let it dry. Then a quick rinse and she's ready to go. You may even teach her how to spit defog it if she doesn't find that gross.

By the time she's old enough to get certed she'll be the only student in the first pool session with a clear mask and clearing it on instinct if you show her how. BTW You are a good Dad.

My son was 4 and my TUSA Liberator fit him. Also a US Divers Hawaii 2.

This thread was helpful. We're taking our 6 year old son to the Keys next week and he's excited about snorkeling. I don't want to spend a lot of money on equipment for him yet because, well, he's a 6 year old boy and can be destructive! I'm going to take him to the dive shop tomorrow and see what we can find.

I don't know about the US, but you can find generic brands of masks here in Belize now that are about $30. Nice silicon, plastic frame...the only difference I can tell between them and my Tusa or Mares is that there is no Tusa or Mares name on them.

My husband picked up a US Divers set for him today. He's going to work with it in the pool this weekend. His really cheap snorkel was just that- let in tons of water for the poor little guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom