Recommend a place on the Kona side for divers to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octoginger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I've been to Kona twice as a snorkeler. First time I stayed in town. Second time I stayed near Two Step as I snorkeled there every day. Now that I'm a diver, on this trip I'm doing a combination of shore dives (locations other than Two Step tbd as I've just started my research) and boat dives with a dive shop that is N. of the airport. I'm also doing the night Manta Dive, two times. :)

I don't want to spend a lot of time driving around so I was thinking if I stayed in or near town I'd be in the middle of all the places I want to go. Then I thought I'd ask here for recommendations. I'd love to be right on the water at at shore dive sight. Wake up, suit up, walk in and start bubbling. One or two bedrooms with a kitchen. A place to rinse and store gear and a pool would be a major bonus!

I've just joined this board so if this kind of inquiry isn't what y'all do here, my apologies.

Many thanks!

All the boats leave from the harbor north of town and there's nothing nearby since it's some sort of park/preserve. One option a little south of town on Alii' Dr. is several condo complexes by Mile Marker 4 - which is a shore dive that shares the parking lot with Magic Sands beach, I believe it's 4 miles south of Kona.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Mile Marker 4 of The Big Island

Immediately to the north of the beach is
an older building - smaller units. I'm sure I saw a pool oceanfront. It's called Kona Magic Sands - here's one of the units on vrbo.
Luxurious Oceanfront Penthouse Condo Ai... - VRBO

Across the street is a larger complex of about 6-8 buildings - there's a pool and tennis courts. It's called White Sands Village.

There's another small single building condo complex directly north of it, no pool and I don't know the name. It seems like only 2 of the units are rentals.

To the north of Kona Magic Sands (walking distance with gear)
is Pahoehoe Beach Park
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Pahoehoe Beach Park of The Big Island

and maybe a mile south is Kahaluu Beach Park which is really a better snorkel than dive. Lots of turrtles usually.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Kahalu'u Beach Park of The Big Island,

hth

Which shop is it? "north of the airport"?
Most of the shops are in town and you check in once then meet at the boat daily. at the harbor north of town (but south of the airport) Several of the shops are in an industrial mall a little east of downtown. (Big Island, Kona Diving Co, etc)

Unless you're talking about Waikoloa or Kohala Coast Divers which are like 45mins. drive north of Kona so you'd want to find something up there.

We have always stayed at Sugar Cottage. Included with the rental are guided shore dives with tanks and weights.
VIP guided diving...without the cattle boat experience.

Check out vrbo.com/62707

Here's one of my youtube videos from one trip to show you the diving:

I always liked Uncle Billy's. I didn't need a luxury resort, just a clean hotel to stay in that is within walking distance of everything.

I'll be in Kona by Saturday afternoon :) I called two shops and both recommended using Air BNB - we found a place that seems to be a 4 min walk from Jacks diving locker - so close to "downtown" even if not close to the boats.

We have lots of friends who use airbnb a lot - but a first time for us.

All the boats leave from the harbor north of town and there's nothing nearby since it's some sort of park/preserve. One option a little south of town on Alii' Dr. is several condo complexes by Mile Marker 4 - which is a shore dive that shares the parking lot with Magic Sands beach, I believe it's 4 miles south of Kona.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Mile Marker 4 of The Big Island

Immediately to the north of the beach is
an older building - smaller units. I'm sure I saw a pool oceanfront. It's called Kona Magic Sands - here's one of the units on vrbo.
Luxurious Oceanfront Penthouse Condo Ai... - VRBO

Across the street is a larger complex of about 6-8 buildings - there's a pool and tennis courts. It's called White Sands Village.

There's another small single building condo complex directly north of it, no pool and I don't know the name. It seems like only 2 of the units are rentals.

To the north of Kona Magic Sands (walking distance with gear)
is Pahoehoe Beach Park
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Pahoehoe Beach Park of The Big Island

and maybe a mile south is Kahaluu Beach Park which is really a better snorkel than dive. Lots of turrtles usually.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Kahalu'u Beach Park of The Big Island,

hth
Thank you for all the great info! I am going to stay near Mile Marker 4 so I can do plenty of shore diving. And, I decided on Kona Diving. So excited about this trip!

Back
Top Bottom