Recommend me a deco course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes you will "have to" carry the extra equipment for this class...

Bear in mind that the Tec40 (along with many Adv Nitrox course equivalents) allow participants to dive with a single cylinder. However, the cylinder must be fitted with an 'H' or 'Y' valve for redundancy (two independant regulators).

Whilst I do not recommend that for students who have any inclination to progress onto further technical training, it may be just fine for divers who just want to sharpen up their recreational diving and allow for some very minor deco (or extra capacity to deal with emergency deco). If you may go onto subsequent technical courses, you are far better served by getting your initial tuition in full technical rig.

Tec 40 Equipment Requirements

The following lists the equipment that is required for the Tec 40 course.
• Any one of the following appropriately labeled and marked options:
- A single cylinder with a dual outlet valve (eg H valve or Y valve).
- A single cylinder with single outlet valve and a pony bottle. Pony bottle should have same gas as main cylinder, or be breathable at the deepest planned dive depth. The minimum size cylinder is one with a free gas capacity of 850 litres/30 cubic feet.
- Back mounted doubles with dual isolator manifold
- Two side mounted cylinders (sidemount configuration)
• Two complete regulators, one with a two metre/seven foot hose for air sharing and one with SPG. Where two, unmanifolded cylinders are used (sidemount or pony bottle), each regulator must have an SPG, carried and/or marked in such a way as to avoid confusion between them.
• Stage/deco cylinder with attachment hardware and a single second stage regulator and SPG. Note: It is recommended that each diver have and use individual stage/deco cylinders. However, it is acceptable for students to practice required skills with a shared cylinder.
• BCD with D-rings or other attachment points for a stage/deco cylinder. (See note below.)
• Two dive computers, or one computer with a backup timer and depth gauge with dive tables.
• Exposure suit appropriate for environment and dive duration (if students will use dry suits, they should be trained/experienced in their use in recreational diving prior to using them for tec training or diving).
• Argon dry suit inflation system (as needed for environment)
• Weight system (If required. Note: Students and staff should weight for the contingency of decompressing with near-empty cylinders.)
• Jon line (as needed for environment)
• Inflatable signal tube, whistle and/or other visual and audible surface signaling devices. Note that a sausage type DSMB may double for the inflatable signal tube.
• Reel and lift bag (bright yellow preferred) or DSMB. A suitable DSMB has sufficient buoyancy to help steady a diver during a drifting decompression, and is unlikely to spill when deployed from the underwater.
• Knife/cutting device and back up
• Slate
• Back up mask (optional)
• Compass
• Lights (optional – as required for dive environment)
• Backup buoyancy control – the student must have a reliable means for controlling buoyancy and maintaining decompression stops in midwater with a failed primary BCD. This is usually accomplished with a backup BCD (double wings) or, when using light weight cylinders, the use of a dry suit is permitted.

Note that in cases where the student is carrying a relatively small quantity of overall weight (e.g., a single cylinder only) one source of buoyancy control may be acceptable at the instructor’s discretion, provided that there is a reliable alternative method for maintaining decompression stops, such as ascending along a mooring line or decompressing on the bottom if topography allows.

Bear in mind that the Tec40 (along with many Adv Nitrox course equivalents) allow participants to dive with a single cylinder. However, the cylinder must be fitted with an 'H' or 'Y' valve for redundancy (two independent regulators).

Tec 40 allows you to substitute the addition of a pony bottle for the single cylinder with an H/Y valve. If you have students who are already diving a single tank with a pony, all they need is a deco cylinder to meet the equipment requirements. I would recommend matching the gas (back gas and pony) as it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense based on the course design.

I've yet to meet the student who isn't somewhat interested in doubles, and it just so happens I have a few sets laying around...

Tec 40 allows you to substitute the addition of a pony bottle for the single cylinder with an H/Y valve. If you have students who are already diving a single tank with a pony, all they need is a deco cylinder to meet the equipment requirements.

Correct. What I posted above was cut/paste directly from the Tec Diver Course Instructor Guide (version 3.0 final to production). Either 'H'/'Y' or single+pony. Not and.

I would recommend matching the gas (back gas and pony) as it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense based on the course design.[/QUOTE]

If it were me (never had a student choose single+pony or H/Y valve as a training option) I'd make them plan the dive based on the gasses carried. So if they weren't carrying the bottom-mix gas in the pony, they'd need a contingency table for ascent on that gas. More complicated than it's worth....

"Pony bottle should have same gas as main cylinder, or be breathable at the deepest planned dive depth."

I'd also specify that the pony had to equate to a minimum 1/2 volume of the primary. i.e. a 30cuft wouldn't suffice, if the primary tank was 80cuft. That'd mean the 'bail-out'/redundancy would comply with rule-of-thirds. It would remain as redundancy though - it wouldn't be the retained reserve. The diver would still dive 1/3rd on their main tank (in essence, a 50% overall reserve maintained).

*opens can of worms* So what BCD/harness/tank setup would you recommend? BP/W doubles? Sidemount? With the qualifier that I'm not going to be buying tanks, as any decent dive location requires me to fly there and well, baggage limits. I've been thinking that sidemount seems like the logical choice from a logistical standpoint(just grab two or three of whatever regular tank they use at dive op), or alternatively some sort of back+side configuration(back single, two singles in sidemounts).

Basically I'd want a setup that doesn't require me to bring my own tanks when traveling. Suitable for open water diving, I might flirt a little with wreck/cave(as I already have recreationally, not much more than that), but honestly I'm not too into it, I'd be going tech/deco for extended bottom times, to a lesser degree, depth, and perhaps most importantly: for improving my knowledge base for regular recreational diving. And who knows, it may become a stepping stone towards commercial/saturation diving a few years down the line.

Dude,

get a one-piece harness, back plate and wing.

it'll save countless internet arguments later.

Note:

I still don't like my OPH!

Frankly, Tec-40 sounds pretty much tailor made as the next class for where I am as a diver. I currently have rescue, nitrox and solo ( never bothered with deep ), dive a Hog rig and sling an AL40 DIR style.

Problem is, I can't see why in the world I'd want to bother when all I get to do is see the bottom of Lake Travis a wee bit longer. It's a case of diminishing returns.

I'm saving my pennies for that BlackBeard's trip in September. I can have plenty of fun on 20' of water.

That sounds rather exciting.
Haha. But seriously, I have little interest in going beyond where daylight can penetrate in wrecks or caves. I might eventually do some easy caves where there's some interesting cave-only creatures to see, but that's about it. I'm a wildlife oriented diver. When I go into a wreck, or into a cavern(not been proper cave yet), I do so to see what interesting creatures I can find there. I'd probably get more out of being able to go down to 50-60m and seeing some things that don't often come up into recreational depths(for example I really want to see/meet some spiny dogfish).

I've dived the Zenobia, which is supposed to be one of the top 3 wrecks in the world, and found myself a bit disappointed in what there was to see. Ok, big boat, where's the wildlife? I saw a few common mediterranean fish, and one nice camoflaged crab, and that was about it.

Had more fun diving a couple of smaller wrecks in the maldives where there were more to see, and as a bonus, all the interesting critters were on the outside, no penetration necessary.

I didn't read every response but SSI Advanced Nitrox covers exactly what you are asking about...I think...BUT pick your instructor wisely. These courses can exceed all expectations or they can absolutely waste your time. THE INSTRUCTOR makes the course.

Here is a cut and paste of the course:
SC-XRAN.jpg
Advanced Nitrox
The perfect program for people wanting the academic knowledge of a full decompression diver with just a little taste of the complex dives involved.
Learn what gas mixtures can double your bottom time, how to plan gas consumption, and how to do short duration limited decompression diving all on a single tank with a pony bottle. Whether you plan to do limited decompression dives or just want the knowledge to respond if you overstay your limit this course has information you can really use to improve your diving knowledge and skill.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2013 at 07:50 PM ----------

I should add that I have not yet taken this course. I am going to take extended range this summer which can encompass this class as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom