Recommendation for a doubles wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evil_xander

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Tobin,

what wing from your line would you recommend for the 2x12 L 230 bar Faber tanks (possible AL stage and cannister light in a foreseeable future but not in another 12 months)?

My current setup is your LCD30 with a medium plate for a 15L steel Faber tank, drysuit is trilam cordura with rather thick undergarment, which requires me total of 7-8kg of lead on my belt. I have no clue how much lead I will need with the twins yet, but it cannot be more than that.

Looks to me like Torus 42 or possibly a 38?

No plans for bigger doubles anywhere near, or multiple stage tanks.

On a sidenote, I rarely need to inflate the LCD30 to more than 2/3 of it's capacity if that helps...

Do you need more info?

Tobin,

what wing from your line would you recommend for the 2x12 L 230 bar Faber tanks (possible AL stage and cannister light in a foreseeable future but not in another 12 months)?

My current setup is your LCD30 with a medium plate for a 15L steel Faber tank, drysuit is trilam cordura with rather thick undergarment, which requires me total of 7-8kg of lead on my belt. I have no clue how much lead I will need with the twins yet, but it cannot be more than that.

Looks to me like Torus 42 or possibly a 38?

No plans for bigger doubles anywhere near, or multiple stage tanks.

On a sidenote, I rarely need to inflate the LCD30 to more than 2/3 of it's capacity if that helps...

Do you need more info?

Metric tanks are always fun. If I've selected the fabers you are using from the multitude of fabers available, then your tanks are just slightly negative when empty, about -.3 kg each.

Your 12L 230 bar tanks will hold about 16 lbs of gas full.

It looks like you are now using about 25-26 lbs of total ballast, tank, plate, reg, belt.

Than means your suit is about 25 lbs positive. If you want to be negative by the weight of your gas, and be able to deal with a total suit failure you need to add the weight of the gas (16 lbs) to the buoyancy of the suit (26) 16 + 25 = 42 lbs. You will likely want to be slightly more than 16 lbs negative at the start of the dive. This permit you to add inflation gas to your suit at your shallow stop, and be able to fully drain your tanks without being too light. 42 +~3 lbs of "extra inflation gas" = 45 lbs.

Your rig will be about -34 lbs will full bottles, and will provide about 18 lbs of ballast with empty tanks. That means you will need 7-8 lbs in a belt.

I'd recommend a Torus 49. If you were to use a less buoyant undergarment you could use a smaller wing, but with the fluffy undies you have you need more wing.

Tobin

I figured I didn't need that much, thanks for clarifying the lift requirement once again. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom