Recommendation for a Reliable Power Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kablooey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking to upgrade and replace a problematic power inflator.

Current inflator came with a DiveRite 25# wing.
(No knock on DiveRite intended; a second DiveRite inflator has worked great for years.)

We need something rugged and reliable for travel.
Willing to pay more for quality.

Thanks,
K

Buy a standard power inflator, matter of fact buy 2. They are only $16 a piece. The service kits can be found for under $10. They are small enough to throw in to a save a dive kit. Service them like your regulators. Will last forever.

Check the common online stores. Why overcomplicate what shouldn't be?

Edit: here is a link

BCD Parts and Components | Dive Gear Express®

The ones I've taken apart are all pretty much the same and if you don't clean and lube o-rings etc sooner or later they will fail. One generic, very commonly used inflator uses a brass-coated rod inside which becomes corroded and sometimes simply cleaning and polishing the rod, along with a couple of new 0-rings and it's as good as new. Maybe better than new because I suspect they could have used a bit more silicone grease when they were made. Hopefully the newer inflators don't use corrosive parts so I would try to find out exactly what's inside of one before buying it. As swimlikethefish said, keep a spare on hand and it should get you through some very extended dive trips.

Ya, I saw the one on DGX. I couldn't believe how inexpensive it is.
Just wondering if there are other options out there.

I've done my own inflator service for years. Especially before big trips, or at least yearly.
We just have one inflator that keeps failing, even when we have a respected pro service tech do the work.

Yes, will always travel with spares from now on.

Is the troublesome inflator identical to the trouble free inflator? Switch them, and see if the problem follows the hardware, or if it follows the diver. Might be a post dive care issue, or something similar.

this one is supposed to be the gold standard if you want to pay for it...

BX Power Inflator

I just buy the cheap ones, service or scrap. Really don't have issues as I take care of my gear. The only ones I've tossed came to me on used equipment...'

YMMV

I'm a fan of the BX also - have had one for years - zero problems. Makes it real simple to flush your bladder.

Although I agree with Bob^ the Titanium standard in inflaters has to be the Atomic. Atomic AI Power Inflator - only $220 lol.

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions.

K

this one is supposed to be the gold standard if you want to pay for it...

BX Power Inflator

I just buy the cheap ones, service or scrap. Really don't have issues as I take care of my gear. The only ones I've tossed came to me on used equipment...'

YMMV

That looks identical to the one on my Zeagle Express Tech which means it's probably garden-hose threaded so it might be tricky to attach to a standard inflator hose. At that price I'd be afraid to ask how much to get the hose too, but the assembly on my Zeagle BC appears to be very high quality and I'd almost be willing to bet they didn't use any brass or cheap metals inside. It also has an Allen wrench access but I have not taken mine apart yet but it looks like it might be easier than some of the older inflators. I had considered using the Zeagle hose assembly as a replacement on an old BC but couldn't find any for sale. I'll check the link posted for the inflator and see if they have the whole thing :)

Edit: I just did a lengthy chat with "Kasia" and was unable to learn if they sell the Zeagle hose too. It is pictured but it does not say it's included or available. Kasia told me to call Dan at the store: 815-267-8400. In any case, the garden-hose fitting on the oral inflator is a nice feature and it makes it very simple to flush out the bladder so if it came with the hose for that price I'd go for it.

Back
Top Bottom