• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Recommendation for a Reliable Power Inflator

Discussion in 'Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and Weight Systems' started by kablooey, Jan 11, 2019.

1. -JD-

-JD- Eclecticist ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    rhwestfall likes this.
  2. fmerkel

fmerkel Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
  3. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Laugh at me if you will, but I bought the $200 Ti Atomic for myself. Last one I'll ever need to buy. Period.
    1) Better buttonology than the standard inflator. I'm tired of crooking my wrist around the corner to inflate, or holding it backwards to use thumb and forefinger, but having the mouthpiece facing away. Simple thumb press for both inflate and deflate, or two fingers if it's in your mouth. But Scubapro can claim the same thing.
    2) More important - you can't avoid water retention on the seal around the valve stems. Corrosion on the non-titanium metal designs, or fatigue breakage on the plastic designs was something I was tired of servicing on others' BCDs.
    3) Titanium. Yeah, you rinse your bcd, but salt just seems to hang inside that mechanism, and one thing I never want to have is a stuck inflator. Zero corrosion on my Ti inflator. How many folks get their regs serviced, but never bring their bcd in until it fails?
    Screenshot_20190116-092817_Gallery.jpg 20180417_174319.jpg
    So like I said, laugh at me if you want to, but that ridiculously expensive inflator was a good value in my mind. I bet you've wasted $200 on something scuba-related once in your life, too. And yeah, it comes with connectors for all hose sizes.

JamesBon92007 and kablooey like this.
  4. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    If I was younger I might consider getting one :wink:

rsingler likes this.
  5. aquacat8

aquacat8 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Air2... on my wing. It gets serviced with my reg. Flame on y’all. Had it for about 18 years and still love it.

rhwestfall and JamesBon92007 like this.
  6. jgttrey

jgttrey Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'll be contrarian and say that I really don't like the Zeagle inflators (and I have 5 Zeagle BCs in the family).

I find that they are less reliable than the simple tech-style inflator you can buy from DGX. The Zeagles use a little Shrader valve to control gas flow that is far more susceptible to corrosion, sand, whatever getting in there and causing a slow creeping flow of gas. The basic tech style inflators are much more robust and don't depend a 10 cent Shrader valve with a tiny little opening that is vulnerable to sand or whatever.

The basic inflator is also easier to field repair. The Zeagle service kit has a whole big plastic module with a new Shrader, which is about your only recourse, whereas with a simple inflator you can often fix those creeps in the field. The inflation mechanism is much bigger and easier to clean out or, usually at worst, swap out the o-rings.

I pulled the Zeagle inflators off everything. The only advantage they offer is the hose thing, which is no big deal. It hardly takes any time to run hose water into conventional inflator. By the you've unscrewed, attached hose, run water, unscrewed hose and reattached the inflator, you've probably spent even more time. Better yet, save the money on the fancy inflators and buy one of those attachments that screws onto the hose and has a LPI female on the other end. Then you can flush through the LPI and not just clean out the bladder.

JamesBon92007 likes this.
  7. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It's NEVER too late to spend money! The guy who dies with the most toys wins, don'cha know? :D

JamesBon92007 and aquacat8 like this.
  8. txgoose

txgoose Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I can proudly say that I've never wasted money on scuba gear. :) Or cycling gear, or paintball gear. I've also almost completely never stretched the truth.

JamesBon92007 and aquacat8 like this.