Recommendation for Cave course in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I'm going to throw some recommendations out for cave instructors. These are people that I have personally co-taught with and seen in the water.

High Springs Area

Jon Bernot - Backmount, CCR, Sidemount.

Ted McCoy - Backmount, CCR, Sidemount.

Bill Oestreich - Backmount, CCR, Sidemount.

Jim Wyatt - Backmount, CCR (do you do Sidemount Jim?)

Jon and Lauren Kieren - Backmount, CCR

Marianna

Edd Sorenson - Sidemount (he does teach CCR, but I'm not sure that he's a CCR cave instructor)

There are undoubtedly other cave instructors out there, but these are the ones I have personally had experience co-teaching with that I would be happy to send my loved ones to for a class.

I sidemount, but not the best choice for instructor.

I sidemount, but not the best choice for instructor.

I'm in the same boat.

To the OP, Jim's statement about looking at the NSS-CDS for a list of instructors as a starting point is great. The process to become an instructor through the NSS-CDS is lengthier and more thorough than it is for every other agency that's out there. There's a reason for that.

I think Ken is being modest in not putting his own name up on that post. I dive regularly with one of Ken's students and think he should be high on the list for consideration.

I agree and second this statement.

Take GUE fundamentals in shanghai. Then come to Fl and take Cave 1 with Messersmith, Tanguay, Egorov, Mudry, or Gideon Liew if he's in town (from Singapore and speaks mandarin).

There's a strong GUE group (China Underwater Explorers) based out of Hong Kong that dives in Guanxi a lot.

You dive with him and admit it? Wow! :p

Why wouldn't he admit it, women throw themselves at me and men want to be like me; just being in my shadow is enough for most. I'm being entirely too modest though.

On a more serious note I will toss Ken's hat into the ring for a list of instructors to be considered. I had him for NAUI cave I and AN/DP and will finish out my full cave training with him once I stop buying dive gear and build my fun fund back up.

Ken is pretty thorough in his instructing; you'll learn a lot and improve on the things your are already good at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom