recommendation for cleaning cascades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildmagic

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help in Costa Rica...I own a dive shop in Costa Rica. When our old worthington compressor died last May it put a bad oil smell into the cascade system. We cleaned the aluminum 80s with no problem. Our new BAUR is expected to arrive in 10 days and we want to clean the cascades. We used simple green and a hot water solution with cleaning beads and rolled them for 30 minutes but they still smell like old oil. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I've had great results with hot Blue Gold solution and boiling hot water. ...Don't burn your hands on the cylinders!

Regardless, here's a great article by Denton about his fill station project that is well done.

All the best, James

I can not get that product in Costa Rica...any other suggestions

Most hydro places will steam clean tanks for a small fee. This is how they clean them for O2 service.

If you don't have access to a steam cleaner wand then,
laundry detergent and alot of it. Powdered & unscented preferred.
rinse well
Simple green
rinse well again

You may need some sort of media to "scour/rub" the residues off the tanks with a tumbler. You can use clean gravel or commercial media.

I have cleaned hydraulic cylinders with visible, dripping oil on them with laundry detergent, its a very concentrated grease cutter and its about pH 12. You probably need about 500mL per cylinder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom