Recommendation for dive hotel/resort grand cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most places have rinse buckets available. We have a camera bucket on the boat (I know RSS does as well) and really wouldn’t be surprised if lots of others do as well depending on boat style. We now have a flattop Newton that runs right up on the beach so there is plenty of room for it. But even colleagues that don’t have facilities at the dock. I do remember many years ago when we didn’t want anyone touching any of or gear or equipment and not trusting how often water was refreshed letting it all have a good rinse in a huge bathtub in the old Hyatt. Happy memories Thankfully I have learned a lot since those days!

I realize many offer some rinse buckets on boats, and some are quite small, that don't fit a DSLR housing & strobes combination. I also like to check my rig prior to jumping in. My issue with beach loading, as I get older trudging through the sand with my rig to get to the boat, dodging sunbathers, is something I'd rather not do. I do it when need arises, and I'm determined to get a night dive in, even if it means diving off the beach, but original question/statement includes the word lazy.:)

I realize many offer some rinse buckets on boats, and some are quite small, that don't fit a DSLR housing & strobes combination. I also like to check my rig prior to jumping in. My issue with beach loading, as I get older trudging through the sand with my rig to get to the boat, dodging sunbathers, is something I'd rather not do. I do it when need arises, and I'm determined to get a night dive in, even if it means diving off the beach, but original question/statement includes the word lazy.:)

Interesting that you mention the challenges that may sometimes be a factor with beach loading. Years ago, when I was younger and more agile, we did a night dive on GC with a great dive op that offered beach loading. It was a gorgeous dive but at the end they ran the boat partially up onto the shore and I was instructed to jump onto the sand from the boat. I did as instructed but I fell and twisted my knee. It wasn't bad and it didn't ruin the trip but the knee pain was an annoyance and I was glad that it wasn't worse.

It was probably just a fluke but ever since then I have avoided beach loading dive excursions. If I had to do another one I would probably try to slip off the side of the boat into the water rather than jumping onto the beach to disembark.

On a related topic, one of the reasons we haven't been back to Bonaire recently is that it is getting more difficult for us to drag our gear around the island, over the beach and ironshore for remote shore diving - even though it was fun when we were younger and more able. Most of the good shore dives on GC have onsite dive op facilities and easier entries and exits and we like that!

Ironically many of our regulars have been diving for many years and we have folks their 70’s and 80’s who prefer beach pick up because it is easier for them. Their gear is waiting for them and our guys do the carrying over the sand if it is a walk. It is just part of the service nothing special. How challenging any access to a boat whether on a dock or in the water really just depends on the boat, the configuration of ladders, etc. and the location. Probably the easiest on and off boats I have ever been on are the big Red Sail flat tops that operate on the West Side here. Luckily we were never instructed to jump off the boat , otherwise my knees would not have made the trip a second time. When we were on an Aggressor in The Galapagos we literally were tossed from the kanga to the boat and the reverse with all our gear on except our fins. That is not a typical Liveaboard experience so in most cases it doesn’t apply to other places. There really is no one size fits all and an experience with one op or in a specific location can have very little in common with a situation elsewhere. Happily there is no best for anything or anyone across the board.

For example, this (Dauin) would be a different sort of beach pickup...
boat.jpg

Sunset out because it’s booked for our dates in May :) we are Landing on the wed and getting on the aggressor on the Sat, so something simple with Thursday/Friday and possibly sat am diving to get us all lubed up before we get on the boat. I’d like a night dive on the Thursday too.

@Ministryofgiraffes did you call the Sunset House booking department directly or did you just check their availability online? Sometimes resorts are holding some space for a group but they don't expect it to sell out. You are only looking for a few days mid-week so they may be able to work something out.

I think that Sunset House would be a good option for you. They are close to George Town and the harbor where the Aggressor docks. They have shore diving and an onsite dive op and a pool. Airport transfers are included and they have a free shuttle to George Town so no need to rent a car for just a few days. Daily breakfast is included and they have onsite restaurants. And I think you said that you are a photographer? Then you would love the onsite Cathy Church photo studio and shop. You should call them and see what they can offer, if anything. Good luck!

In 30 + years of shooting underwater I have only flooded one camera and it was in a rinse tank a few years ago at the old Go Pro site on GC.....I avoid rinse tanks.Thank god for insurance !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom