Recommendation for dive hotel/resort grand cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Ministryofgiraffes did you call the Sunset House booking department directly or did you just check their availability online? Sometimes resorts are holding some space for a group but they don't expect it to sell out. You are only looking for a few days mid-week so they may be able to work something out.

I think that Sunset House would be a good option for you. They are close to George Town and the harbor where the Aggressor docks. They have shore diving and an onsite dive op and a pool. Airport transfers are included and they have a free shuttle to George Town so no need to rent a car for just a few days. Daily breakfast is included and they have onsite restaurants. And I think you said that you are a photographer? Then you would love the onsite Cathy Church photo studio and shop. You should call them and see what they can offer, if anything. Good luck!

Good tip, i did, but its the cathy church photo fest and the whole joint is booked out. if they don't fill all the rooms then we may get a chance in a couple of months when they release them back to the hotel. Lamentably we cannot attend that as well fort he full week, although the problem would have been solved. one week on the photofest and one week on the aggressor!

thanks again for the reco.

Caydiver I met him a few times when I shore dived the site seemed like a nice guy.

He is my partner. It works out fantastically. His guys do the teaching and run the boat. They are really good at what they do :) and Ash is awesome.

Cobalt Coast has an on site operator, Reef Divers, and have a shore dive on site.
Holiday Inn is at West Bay and on site operator is Divetech. They will do pick-up at the hotel and transport you to their dock. They also will let you do shore dives at lighthouse and will take you back to Holiday Inn if it’s feasible. I have stayed at Holiday Inn, it’s ok. But, far from Georgetown. They do have a free shuttle service to Georgetown until 7pm. But make sure you’re booked in advanced.

Why the heck would anyone want to go to Georgetown except to catch the Aggressor on the Saturday? Georgetown is crowded with traffic, cruise shippers and clip joints that make a living off them. If you really need to go shopping for duty free jewelry or trinkets, better to go to Camana Bay or the Strand.

In May, a condo on the north end of 7MB would be my choice; relatively cheap and close to the shore dives at North West and the boats leaving from either West Bay dock or Yacht Club. I stay at either Christopher Columbus or Anchorage and like them both. Good quiet sand beach and fresh water pools. If price is an issue they both have "garden view" suites for less than ocean front. You would pretty much need a car though.

Cobalt is OK but in the middle of nowhere. On the plus side their dive op is very good and as mentioned, on site.

As per the camera bucket on the boat. IMO a recipe for disaster. All the cameras slosh around together and get tangled up. People also sometimes rinse their masks in it by mistake so there is defog in the water to potentially damage o rings. I give my housing a fresh water hose off on the boat and then soak later in controlled conditions.

Back
Top Bottom