recommendation for Maui SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may be on to other decisions, but I really liked diving with Maui Dreams when we stayed in Wailea. I found them very customer-oriented. The shore dives down there should not be missed. 5 graves was as good as most boat dives I have done, and Ulua Beach as a night dive was pretty cool. I don't think I've been on shore dives where I saw as many turtles and sharks as I saw there. I dove with Rachel and with Terri and they were both first rate. They really got me re-inspired about scuba after a long hiatus.

Charlie99:
Scuba Shack is a unique case where the owner is frequently onboard, but where the imprint of his personality and attitude hurts rather than helps. While I could cite some examples such as how a DM pulled a small whitetip shark out of its hiding hole by the tail, that isn't the real unlying reason I tend to avoid Scuba Shack. It's simply a case of vague "bad vibes".

I believe I know which DM you are referring to. I just looked on their website and the person that I'm thinking of is no longer listed on their 'Staff' page. Most of the folks that I've dealt with there have been very competent and extremely helpful and nice. They are definitely geared more towards beginner/intermediate divers. The owner is kind of a kook, but we never had any issues with him.

David

WIth regard to Scuba Shack... I had heard of... and then experienced for myself... very inappropriate, excessively overt sexual behavior towards women customers. If that's cool with you, go for it... if you'd rather not have to deal with that, then make your choices accordingly.

KrisB:
I've heard it's quite the distance to schlep the gear, too... are there some tricks to that, Tim?

I just park in the public lot by the Sheraton, and walk (1/4 mile maybe?) to the entry, or drop my gear off at the golf course end of the road, park and walk back. Then I dive from the north end, get out at the south end and walk back to my car ... however ...

I dove with some friends who pulled up to the Valet parking at the Sheraton, handed the gentleman a $5 and the valet offered to not only park their car, but carted their gear down to the edge of the sand. After the dive he then helped them cart it all back up to their car... I think they ended up giving him and extra tip for his exceptional service... well earned! It was about 10pm when we all got out of the water, so maybe they just don't have much to do at night, but they definitely earned their tip.

Aloha, Tim

I dove with some friends who pulled up to the Valet parking at the Sheraton, handed the gentleman a $5 and the valet offered to not only park their car, but carted their gear down to the edge of the sand. After the dive he then helped them cart it all back up to their car... I think they ended up giving him and extra tip for his exceptional service... well earned! It was about 10pm when we all got out of the water, so maybe they just don't have much to do at night, but they definitely earned their tip.

That is brilliant! For sure it was well earned -- if there was a group of 3-4, even $50 would be cheap for diving in Maui -- and I'm sure the valet would be just ecstatic with that, too!

ladycute1:
WIth regard to Scuba Shack... I had heard of... and then experienced for myself... very inappropriate, excessively overt sexual behavior towards women customers. If that's cool with you, go for it... if you'd rather not have to deal with that, then make your choices accordingly.

Wow...I had no idea. Who was it that was so rude? Looks like I'll have to rethink my support of them...

Thanks!

David

Thanks for all the great info. Will be there in one week. Any info on SNUBA? I am not familiar with it, but my 9 yeqar old wants to try it.

Aloha from Maui,

Depending on where you stay in Wailea, Ultra Dive has locations at either end of the shoreline sidewalk. At the Kea Lani (Fairmont) 8-12 year olds can participate in the Bubble Maker pool class (1PM daily). To dive in open water you must be at least 10, and I'm pretty sure snuba is the same.

Both the Kea Lani and the Renaissance locations offer Intro dives for the non-certified and kick or scooter dives for certified divers. If you are experienced, adventurous and good on your air, we could scooter out to the St. Anthony wreck from the Renaissance. You do not have to be a resort guest to dive with us.

I am the full time instructor at the Renaissance and we do our Intro practice in the hotel pool, use fresh tanks for the ocean, put the heavier breathers on 80's (one 100 available) and get nearly everyone out to the turtle cleaning station at the end of second reef (Ulua). The reason I mention all that is because you won't always get those things with the parking lot instructors.

Today my intro group saw three Spotted Eagle Rays and a couple Green Sea Turtles, as well as numerous reef fish. Turtles are 99.9% guarenteed, eels 80%, octopus 50%, rays 15% (all aprox).

At least stop by and say hi at our kayak/surf/snorkle booth on the sidewalk in front of the Renaissance or the Scuba Center just across the lawn from there.

Mahalo,
Steve

halemano:
Aloha from Maui,

Depending on where you stay in Wailea, Ultra Dive has locations at either end of the shoreline sidewalk. At the Kea Lani (Fairmont) 8-12 year olds can participate in the Bubble Maker pool class (1PM daily). To dive in open water you must be at least 10, and I'm pretty sure snuba is the same.

Both the Kea Lani and the Renaissance locations offer Intro dives for the non-certified and kick or scooter dives for certified divers. If you are experienced, adventurous and good on your air, we could scooter out to the St. Anthony wreck from the Renaissance. You do not have to be a resort guest to dive with us.

I am the full time instructor at the Renaissance and we do our Intro practice in the hotel pool, use fresh tanks for the ocean, put the heavier breathers on 80's (one 100 available) and get nearly everyone out to the turtle cleaning station at the end of second reef (Ulua). The reason I mention all that is because you won't always get those things with the parking lot instructors.

Today my intro group saw three Spotted Eagle Rays and a couple Green Sea Turtles, as well as numerous reef fish. Turtles are 99.9% guarenteed, eels 80%, octopus 50%, rays 15% (all aprox).

At least stop by and say hi at our kayak/surf/snorkle booth on the sidewalk in front of the Renaissance or the Scuba Center just across the lawn from there.

Mahalo,
Steve
IIRC, Ultra Dive is one of *the* most expensive dive ops in the South Kihei area... perhaps that's changed, but I remember seeing higher-than-boat-dive prices on their shore dives.

Back
Top Bottom