recommendation for Maui SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow Charlie, thanks for the comparisons!! I think that's the most balanced and fair review of many of the charter ops on Maui. :D :D

Ultimately, it's tough to find a "bad" operator on Maui, it's really just a matter of finding the one (or two) that fits your desires/style.

6/29,

After a beautiful pau hana sunset I am bursting with a very funny tale that may end up legend. Because of Charlie’s excellent post I’m waiting until page 6 to make this possibly legendary post.

Before the silliness, I can attest that divers this winter were turned down for open Prodiver seats because they did not have enough experience (I lost commissions on two occasions). Another fact is that often the experience claimed in a phone conversation does not mach up with actual ability. And finally, some days you can only hold out so long, especially during non-peak season. That experienced couple booked for Wednesday may need the inexperienced couple to not get canceled. Enough of that, on with the story.

Picture if you will, a Maui beach rental / activity sales guy, hourly plus commission. Snorkel sets and umbrellas are not why most people work that kind of job. Tours and Maui Jim’s, that’s the honey.

I’m seeing one of those guys, talking to a tourist about a dive tour. Now another tourist ambles up to join the dive conversation, introducing himself as a diver looking for a buddy. Before long the two tourists are agreeing to meet tomorrow for a dive.

Next day, tourist #2 show up to find out tourist #1 left because the sales guy claimed the conditions weren’t good. Then the sales guy asked tourist #2 if he would like to go on a dive tour. I’m sure there was no sarcasm in that offer:)

It’s classic. He just got you back dude, get over it.

Charlie - one more note: B&B is just starting a monthly tech charter to spots like the corsair at 200fsw, the "weightbelt graveyard" on the backside of Molokini and getting into rebreathers heavily (both SCCR & CCR). I don't think it will ever become a large portion of their business, but at least it offers something different for divers interested in that type of diving.

Yes they are my favorite of the dive ops I've been on, but in fairness, I've not been out with ERD or Mike S. yet. I think the way you put it is quite balanced, and accurate.

Aloha, Tim

I’m seeing one of those guys, talking to a tourist about a dive tour. Now another tourist ambles up to join the dive conversation, introducing himself as a diver looking for a buddy. Before long the two tourists are agreeing to meet tomorrow for a dive.

Next day, tourist #2 show up to find out tourist #1 left because the sales guy claimed the conditions weren’t good. Then the sales guy asked tourist #2 if he would like to go on a dive tour. I’m sure there was no sarcasm in that offer

It’s classic. He just got you back dude, get over it.

Did I forget to mention that I didn't *steal* a sale? The guy was already booked on a boat dive and we had all been chatting for a while when I suggested a shore dive the next day.

Get me back or not, that's not what I would expect from a fellow human being -- if all you're in life for is making money, then I have no interest in associating with you. Maybe that's a Canadian thing... I dunno.

Oh, and the conditions were fine... which makes a liar out of this guy, too.

Besides... he would have had a scuba gear rental out of it -- and at UltraDive prices, there's some money being made (at the time, you could pay about the same and get a guided tour from other excellent shops on the island)

Back
Top Bottom