Recommendations for a Corrugated Flex-hose Snorkel WITHOUT any purge valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking for a Corrugated Flex-hose Snorkel WITHOUT any purge valves and I can't find one from any of the vendors I know and have relationship with. They either have ones with purge(s) or a "J" type of snorkel without the flexible hose I want. I'd appreciate it if anyone who has used one or knows of where to get one, send me the link for this type of snorkel.

Last edited:
I recently did some research on retro and vintage style underwater swimming equipment that is still in production and on sale. My findings included several valveless snorkels with corrugated flex hoses:

Voit Ultra Marine 728 Diving Snorkel
snorkel.jpg

U.S. Navy diving snorkel. All rubber, endorsed by Mark Spitz, new in the box! Ultra soft contoured lip guard and twin lug type teeth grips. International orange safety top and double "O" mask strap holders. Available at Miscellaneous Items

Sommap Annele
annele.jpg

ANNELE - flexible corrugated 20mm tube with rubber mouthpiece designed to fall away from face when not in use. Available at Black Snorkel retro design by Sommap: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Seac Corrugato
9200000031755688.jpg

Flexible end. Black. Available at Seac Corrugato Silner Snorkel with Flexible End Black: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Francis Corrugato
8005421160106.jpg

Available at http://www.bellinogiocattoli.it/francis-boccaglio-corrugato-cod-16010-p-532.html

There are others, but they are not easily obtainable.

Last edited:
Hey Burhan,

Just curious why you are adamant about having no purge/drain valve?

And since you are adamant about that, why not one of the vintage style snorkels that have been posted? That Francis Corrugato one looks like it would have been just what you want.

I got the XS Scuba pocket snorkel a few months back and it seems like the ideal scuba snorkel. The tube is made of silicone, so it flattens out when you roll it up, but opens back up when you unroll it. And it has a little built in clip thing that keeps it rolled up without making it hard to unroll. But, it does have a drain valve at the bottom. And, I have not actually USED it yet. Just carried it around in a pocket.

Amazon.com : XS Scuba Snorkel Cargo : Diving Snorkels : Sports & Outdoors

Just curious why you are adamant about having no purge/drain valve?

I want to teach students snorkeling and clearing their snorkels without the purge including the "displacement" method of snorkel clearing. I also don't want to spend a fortune on the snorkel since our currency went down the toilet vs. the USD/Euro (by a factor of almost 10).

I want to teach students snorkeling and clearing their snorkels without the purge including the "displacement" method of snorkel clearing. I also don't want to spend a fortune on the snorkel since our currency went down the toilet vs. the USD/Euro (by a factor of almost 10).

Aha. I just read up on the displacement method. I've been snorkeling since I was a little kid. Never heard of that method. Obviously never used it, either.

You could always fill the purge valves on some regular snorkels, from the under side, with some RTV silicon sealant....

Anyway, if a snorkel without a purge valve is so hard to find, how likely is it that any of your students are ever going to have one and thus have any use for the displacement method? I mean, if they can't even use the displacement method with any snorkel they're ever likely to have, why worry about teaching it?

I suppose you could buy a roll of stiff garden hose and some regulator mouthpieces and make your own flexible snorkels with no purge valve. :poke::eyebrow::p:D

They can find snorkels without purge no problem, the problem is finding one with a corrugated flex hose :)

I want the flex hose part because it drops out of the way when switching to scuba during scuba lessons. I guess I'll just have to get the inexpensive "J" type snorkel without the flex hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom