Recommendations for a good starter Mask/Snorkel/fin kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For your vacation, here is what I would suggest. This assumes you buy from ScubaToys, where you get a 10% discount, and I think they would do their best to get this stuff to you by Wednesday. Shipping is free on $50+ orders, so getting it expedited may run you a few $$$ but not full price I'm guessing.

Dacor DTX full foot fins

These are $25 bucks! They are not going to be the best fin in the world, but as long as they fit, they will work great, and at an unbeatable price. They originally sold for $80, and look like the Mares Velo design which are nice fins. A good second choice would be the Aeris Velocity Full foot fins. I have these, and they work great. I use them in the pool. They are $50.

Mares XVision, PureVision, or Deamon mask (around $60).
The Tilos Frameless mask looks nice for $45. Talk to the staff (so call them) about fit. Most masks fit regular faces, but for example the Cressi Big eyes is huge on my face, and would leak. The XVision is sold in a regular, and mid frame sizes, so two sizes. I like Black skirts on both woman, and masks!

Get the cheapest snorkel you can get your hands on assuming you are not wanting to invest in something dry. IMO unless you have snorkel issues, or are diving in VERY rough seas, there is no reason to spend a lot on a snorkel. I rarely use them diving.

This stuff will run you about $85 before the 10% discount, snorkel (assuming you need one), and shipping.

If you are planning on doing this before your trip, I'd do it now. Otherwise, you can readdress this after you get back.

Get the cheapest snorkel you can get your hands on assuming you are not wanting to invest in something dry. IMO unless you have snorkel issues, or are diving in VERY rough seas, there is no reason to spend a lot on a snorkel. I rarely use them diving.

Agreed. I think I picked up the pocket snorkel for like $16. I love the thing to death...

I appreciate all of the help so far! Now that I have gotten more info, here is what I'm thinking I want.

Fins:
I would like some open heel fins so I can wear boots because I spend a lot of time in rocky areas. I also think I'm going to fork over the extra cash for some split fins.

Mask:
I like the Tilos frameless type masks but I think I'm going to have to find out what fits my big face.

Snorkel:
Call me lazy but I don't want the extra work of clearing a snorkel so I will be looking to get a dry or at least semi-dry snorkel.

Also, I'm a 6'5" 210Lb guy with size 12.5-13 feet, and a pretty good sized head. If that info helps at all.

Also, I'm a 6'5" 210Lb guy with size 12.5-13 feet, and a pretty good sized head. If that info helps at all.

You maybe a hard mask fit. My buddy has a big head, and he loves his Cressi Big Eye. It fits big faces, and is too large for my sized face.

Splits work very well with the flutter kick that is likely quite good for snorkeling. However for freediving a lot of folks prefer freediving fins. I guess it depends on if you spend more time kicking around on the surface, or diving down to check things out.

Now you know what you want, pick a budget, and make some phone calls. Don't count on getting any good open heel splits for under $125, so your original budget is blown. You will also need to plan on $35 or so for booties, and another $35 for a dry snorkel. So now depending on the fins, your are in the ball park of $300

This is a drop in the bucket, wait until you want dive gear! :shakehead:

I appreciate all of the help so far! Now that I have gotten more info, here is what I'm thinking I want.

Fins:
I would like some open heel fins so I can wear boots because I spend a lot of time in rocky areas. I also think I'm going to fork over the extra cash for some split fins.

Mask:
I like the Tilos frameless type masks but I think I'm going to have to find out what fits my big face.

Snorkel:
Call me lazy but I don't want the extra work of clearing a snorkel so I will be looking to get a dry or at least semi-dry snorkel.

Kurt,

Excellent choice on the fins. I'd buy 5-7mm booties, just so you don't have to purchase them when you buy a wetsuit. Open heel split fins are the way to go in cold water. I dive in New England, so I know all about that cold water stuff, lol.

If you're ordering online, let them know your size and I think they can help you with the mask, for the most part. Frameless masks tend to fit more faces, so it may just be the difference between a larger field of view.

Fins:

Mask:

Snorkel:

I am 6' 225lb 11.5 EEE with 7 3/4 for my motorcycle helmet. The $100 Atomic did not fit my face, I was unable to find a shop in my area that has the Tilos. And many online dealers will suggest another style of mask not Tilos for a larger face. Dive Rite also has a frameless about $60. Trying masks for the best fit and view is best.

I have used many types and brands of snorkels. My current snorkels are Tusa Imprex and Platina. They are semidry and fit me well and perform well for the price. Some others on the market, but pricier are Mares and Atomic. I like the flex vs rigid J-tube, but that is so I can spit it out of my mouth and it is out of my way so I can put my regulator in my mouth. Many freedivers and snorkelers like the J-Tubes. See SCUBAToys for Tusa Platina Flex - low profile. Many SCUBA divers that do not have a good view or have nothing interesting to look at when swimming on the surface, or are able to swim on their backs because there are no rocks, sea grass, kelp, etc. will say to get the cheapest snorkel. Obviously not a freediver or snorkeler. A freediver or snorkeler will say get the best that works for you whether it is a $12 to $50 J-tube or $15-35 flex. A snorkel is best for fit and comfort, ease of clearing, less chance of water entering the top of tube, and less chance of swallowing salt water.

Becareful about advice from SCUBA divers. Some are very biased in their views. It may not be the best for snorkeling. Only the person actually using the equipment for snorkeling can be the best decision maker for what they want and need.

I would never use my open heel USD Rocket Fins, Mares Plana Avanti, or Mares Raptor fins for snorkeling. IMO for my type of snorkeling (No wetsuit or weight belt), they would not be comfortable or fun. I would use the Mares fins for freediving (With wetsuit and weight belt). I got my sister the Tusa X-pert Zooms for snorkeling, but the price has gone up. I used Oceanic Neoclassic size 13 thick soled booties for hiking down cliffs to get to the divespots. Large feet is a problem. I can barely stuff my size 13 booties into my Mares L/XL fins. Tight fit causes foot cramping not fun for a snorkeler. Too stiff a fin Mares Plana Avanti may cause cause leg cramping for the casual snorkeler. A snorkeler may desire a softer more flexible fin and not a long stiff paddle fin. We like to use for freediving because it can increase our bottom time to a couple of minutes with only a few slow easy kicks to get down. Also freedivers 48-52F temps tend to use full foot with socks or booties. SCUBA/freedivers (me) use both open heel and full foot. Since a snorkeler likes to maneuver and change directions quickly and easily, a shorter more flexible fin may be desirable. For large feet the expensive Apollo Biofins $150-200 may be the best because they have a large foot pocket. At SCUBAToys forum members get a 10% discount and $10 gift certificate for 10 posts and $50 GC for 250 posts. At this time a 100-150 dollar snorkeling package has been exceeded perhaps due to sizing issues. Testing fins for fit, ease of kicking, and maneuverability is best.

Have fun on your vacation and I hope you design a package that works for you and is in your price range.

Here is what I have picked out right now...

-Oceanic Shadow Single Window Mask $75
I will be buying this from my LDS because it is only $5 more and LP doesnt have it W/ black skirt. And it seemed to fit.

-Oceanic Viper Open Heel Fins $79 I picked these out based on THIS ARTICLE

I am also interested in these but not sure that they are worth the extra money. Let me know if you think they are.
-Oceanic Vortex V-8 Fins $99
-Tusa X-Pert Zoom Fins $150
-Apollo Bio-Fin Pro $150
-Atomic Aquatics Split Fins $150

-Scubapro Laguna Snorkel $22

-Tusa Imprex 3MM Dive Slipper $23 I wear size 13 shoes. Should I get size 13 boots?

-Akona Snorkeling Bag Size Large $25

Let me know ASAP what you guys think. I think I will be ordering tonight and getting 2day shipping.

Thanks for all the help!

-Kurt

Sounds awesome and well thought out with the exception of the boots...3mm socks for those temps might be a little less than you want. I'd go with a 5mm or 7mm. If you plan on diving later on, you won't need to buy the boots :D...

Well, for right now I only really go into warm summer water, and I only have a shorty wetsuit. I'll upgrade later when I upgrade to full wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom