Recommendations for a good starter Mask/Snorkel/fin kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go with the 5mm soft sole booties. Socks are not going to be comfortable to walk in much, and will wear out fast. They are really only good if you are on boats, and in that case, if it's warm, they are not really needed.

If you want to put off the fin choice, I'd go with full foot fins. You could wear socks with those if you like, but generally not booties. Notice the ratings of ALL the FF fins are way above all but the very best Open Heel fins. The Mares Avanti Superchannel top the charts, and would be great for snorkeling and diving warm water.

Fin choice is difficult, and the fins you are looking at are not rated that great. But beyond the rating, fins can be expensive, and you would be well advised to try some out before you just buy. However I don't think it's a bad idea to have a pair of FF fins even once you decide you want Open Heel fins.

For size, talk to whom you order from. Fins can run small/large, and some fit wide feet better than others... etc.

Good Luck!

The superchannels largest size is 11-12, I doubt that would fit my 12-13 feet with boots on.

Hi Krtismo,

Here's my 2 cents. Everyone may be right but what is important to you isn't what's right for others but what is right for you.

FYI I have bought, tried or previously owned more than 2 dozen masks and nearly that number of fins all because I wanted to get the perfect set for different conditions.

I finally did but the journey wasn't cheap or funny.

Learn from my mistakes if you will. Don't buy something before you've tried it out!

1. For fins, get something that fits well, is easy to use and is one of the more popular fins that allow you to resell on ebay if you hate them. Fins like the Scubapro Jets, Mares Avanti Quattro, Avanti X3, OMS Slipstreams.

From your description, you seem to be a pretty big guy so generating power may not be a problem for you. As such, paddle fins like the OMS slipstream, Quattro or Jets but you prefer a split fin, the Apollo XT, or the Atomic Aquatics are great fins.

Here's a fin review
18 New Fins - Scuba Diving Magazine

For masks, this review has measurements of the masks so if you are a big guy you might want a mask has an internal skirt width as large as the shadow which is 11.5cm or larger. But most importantly get a mask that FITS!!!

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom