Recommendations for adjustable Hog harnesses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm interested in an adjustable Hog harness and wonder if anybody has some recommendations. Characteristics I'm looking for are these:

- Ability to adjust the various strap lengths quickly for switching beween DS and WS.
- Cunning clips to make it easy for a rescuer to strip the rig off me quickly, and without cutting me out.
- Easy to don the rig quickly in a rescue situation (and even for rec diving).

I'm aware of three harnesses that might meet these criteria: DSS Pro-Fit, Dive-Rite Delux with Shoulder Slide-Release, and Oxycheq Adjustable Harness System. I've been using the DSS and have some opinions about how well it measures up, but I don't know anything about the other two, or if there may be still other choices available. I'd welcome your thoughts.

I have used bothe the Dive Rite and OMS "deluxe" style harnesses.

They work well do do exactly what you decrsibe wanting done, but since they use pivt rings, quick releases and 3 pieces of webbing, they are not techically a Hog harness whihc is by definition a one piece harness with no pivot rings or quick releases.

The pivot rings and cross chest strap do allow you to shorten the chest strap to take up the slack in a dry suit adjusted harness when you don a wet suit or shorty. This makes adjustment very fast and smiple with no need to change the other strap lenghts. This is very handy if you also have a habit of securing the strap on the back side of the plate with weight belt keepers.

The OMS and Dive Rite harneses are functionally identical but with a couple minor differences. The D rings on the OMS harness are flat and heavier while the D-rings on the Dive Rite Harness ar thinner and bent upward slightly. The OMS harness uses a plastic puckle while the Dive Rite harnes uses a stainless steel buckle.

Personally I prefer the plastic buckle as it is easier to thread the strap through when donning the harness. Since I am also not a fan of lighter weight or bent D-rings, my first choice would be the OMS harness.

BIgTuna

Hog Harness /= Clips, adustable straps, etc.

However, adjusting the unit for wetsuit to drysuit (some people don't bother) takes all of 3 minutes or so. I don't have my drysuit yet, but have seen it done, and have adjusted mine for other divers.

Good luck with whatever you go with. DA has provided some good info for you.

Although you have other reasons for wanting a non-hog harness, I will add that when I switched to a lighter weight webbing, I found it to be far easier to adjust the harness. It now takes me two minutes and requires no tools.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom