Recommendations for best reader/gauge reader masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Martin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
55 year old eyes just aren't what they used to be! About 5 years ago, I had to give up and start relying on readers. Distance vision is just fine... but reading things up close just wasn't there. So on land, I use +2.00 readers.

In the water, with some effort, I can focus on my dive computer & gauge console - but enough effort that it's somewhere between annoying and dangerous (if I needed to see something quick). I have 2 masks - both XS Scuba Seadive... one is an Eagle Eye SLX, the other is a True Color (and I really like that True Color!).

I've tried 2 different type of the "stick on" readers. But they seem to fog up separate from the masks (which don't really fog at all). So they aren't working for me and I want to try a mask with dedicated readers in them.

I'm looking for suggestions from people who are using reader masks - what do you like? What should I avoid?

I have read the other threads here... but they are older [ironic, huh? ;-) ] . So looking for 2019 suggestions and discussion.

Thanks!!!

Sorry, I've got no particular help for you, I'm jumping in because I want to hear the answers too.

I've been using the Trident glue on lenses. They work great as far as correction goes. They are completely out of the way in my SP Spectra 2 mask. I've had no particular fogging issue, no more fogging than the rest of the mask. My problem with them is that the glue only lasts for a couple of dives. That is a long term non-starter for me. I haven't reached out to Trident for tips yet, but I am pretty good about following directions on things I've never used before, so I did what they told me to.

An old time instructor I know has custom lenses. With my level of correction being such a moving target right now, that doesn't seem to be a good answer either.

I hope there are some good answers out there.

All of the “dedicated” reader masks I am aware of are basically glass bonded to glass. Same with the replaceable insert masks such as the Aqualung Look 2.

I am curious about the fogging you experience. Might be the nature of the type of stick on you are using, but it also might be the added thickness places the glass closer to the warmth of your face. I have that issue with a very low profile mask I added prescription lenses to.

The Trident lenses are good, purely glass on glass with no distracting adhesive borders. And yes, the glue does not last. I have given up discussing it with them. (Even tracked the owner down at DEMA). Now when I sell them, I tell my customers to use their glue initially to zero in on just where they want it and to be sure of the strength, and then bring it back in for me to use a few drops of Superglue for Glass.

Divegear Express sells gauge readers mask that are awesome. Really they are the most comfortable and best sealing mask I have owned . The gauge readers are part of the glass and not glued on and the price is hard to beat .

I am 53, and wear progressive lenses on dry land. About 4 years ago, I bought a prescription bifocal mask from these guys: SeaVisionUSA

I was a little hesitant to plunk down the $$ for a mask that I had not tried on first, but went with one of their recommended masks for "most face types" and it has worked like a charm. A lot of dive shops also stock Sea Vision masks, in case you want to try one before you buy.

It's definitely become my favorite piece of dive gear, and the only one that is truly essential to travel with. I see with crystal clarity underwater, and am a much better navigator and spotter of marine life than I used to be, and I can read my gauges comfortably. The only drawbacks are (1) the correction for distance vision works perfectly underwater, but not above water, so when you come to the surface, your vision won't be as sharp; I see about as crappily without any distance correction as with the mask on above water; and (2) when using a bifocal mask, there is some range (for me, around 4 feet) where you find yourself toggling between the readers and the distance part of the mask, which takes a little getting used to.

The only other advice I have is that the defog solution that comes with the mask is awesome. I have used plenty of other defog solutions and none have worked as well. I normally am a real cheapskate and would just go with diluted detergent in a recycled bottle, but whatever they put in their proprietary defog solution really makes a difference.

All of the “dedicated” reader masks I am aware of are basically glass bonded to glass. Same with the replaceable insert masks such as the Aqualung Look 2.

I am curious about the fogging you experience. Might be the nature of the type of stick on you are using, but it also might be the added thickness places the glass closer to the warmth of your face. I have that issue with a very low profile mask I added prescription lenses to.

The Trident lenses are good, purely glass on glass with no distracting adhesive borders. And yes, the glue does not last. I have given up discussing it with them. (Even tracked the owner down at DEMA). Now when I sell them, I tell my customers to use their glue initially to zero in on just where they want it and to be sure of the strength, and then bring it back in for me to use a few drops of Superglue for Glass.

I haven't tried the Trident (heard about the glue issues and also wasn't keen on gluing something to my lens myself that had moderate (at best) reviews). So I've been trying plastic stick-on's that don't need glue (DiveOptx and their smaller version Hydrotac). Particularly with my Eagleye TrueColor, they have been pretty much unusable because of the fog factor. I've been doing fresh water quarry diving so temperature changes are pretty substantial. To be fair to DiveOptx and Hydrotac, I'm probably outside of their best operating conditions... exactly why I'm looking for something better and less "temporary".

I haven't tried the Trident (heard about the glue issues and also wasn't keen on gluing something to my lens myself that had moderate (at best) reviews. So I've been trying plastic stick-on's that don't need glue (DiveOptx and their smaller version Hydrotac). Particularly with my Eagleye TrueColor, they have been pretty much unusable because of the fog factor. I've been doing fresh water quarry diving so temperature changes are pretty substantial. To be fair to DiveOptx and Hydrotac, I'm probably outside of their best operating conditions... exactly why I'm looking for something better and less "temporary".
Yeah, I just brought in a few DiveOptx to try and I am NOT a fan of the adhesive gasket.

Is the Superglue Permanent or only Sort of Permanent? My eyes have been wandering toward worse and worse so I need to be able to go to stronger correction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom