Recommendations for Buying/Making/Modifying Sidemount BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finished my SM class recently and used the xDeep Stealth 2.0 Tec. I really liked it for the most part, but really hated a few things (details at the bottom). Anyways I was looking at buying one, but was wondering if I should buy a different harness with the xDeep Stealth 2.0 Tec Bladder? I'm open to buying it and modifying it, buying a different harness, or making my own. I was just wondering what people have done and would recommend. I'd like to also have it light/compact enough to travel with. The one I used definitely was.

Did not like the crotch strap. Wish it was 2 bands (1 per leg) instead of just one across so it wasn't so tight on your crotch.
Did not like the rubber moveable "D Rings" on the waistband. I feel like they should be more substantial (prefer metal) and don't need to be so narrow making it less awkward to clip.
Did not like the LPI it kept getting stuck on mine.

Thanks!

You can try going to a two-legged crotch strap, but you're gonna have to do the work yourself. Really the only reason to go to that style is for comfort while scootering though. It's supposed to be tight on your crotch. A two-legged one will be just as tight, it will just pull evenly when you're using a DPV. For swimming it really isn't going to make a difference. You'll also have to change the light mounting solution and butt d-ring since neither of those will exist if you remove the crotch strap. You could try one of the thinner ones.

It's a system designed for cave divers, doing all of the typical cave diving propulsion methods. If you're diving this in open water with a flutter kick, you're going to have an issue with any crotch strap regardless of harness, backplate, etc. It's not an xDeep thing.

The rubber d-rings are actually super tough. I have yet to break one. However, you can put any d-ring on it you want. xDeep and others make sliding d-rings if you want sliding, or just put a regular one there.

The LPI getting stuck isn't an issue with the Stealth specifically, any LPI will get stuck if not properly maintained.

The Classic wing is smaller to travel with than the Tec wing. If you're not diving with steels and a boat load of stages, it's an acceptable amount of lift for AL80's and a couple stages/deco gas.

SUMP UK makes several metal hardware bits to customize either the existing harness or create one from scratch. Worth a look. I have not ordered from them yet but plan to.
Browse their facebook site for an idea of the hardware, PM them on facebook for a catalog.

xDeep inflator seems the same as my Oxycheq and DiveRite ones.

There are some parts like sliding drings that were recommended by sidemounting.com Steve Martin and Joe Seda to me when I did the online course followed up by the water course.

jackaranda63@gmail.com

If you contact the above email address he has an xdeep upgrade kit that is reasonable

xdeep.jpg

Attachments

• XDeep-Upgrade-Kit-SUMP-UK.jpg
    XDeep-Upgrade-Kit-SUMP-UK.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 230
I finished my SM class recently and used the xDeep Stealth 2.0 Tec. I really liked it for the most part, but really hated a few things (details at the bottom). Anyways I was looking at buying one, but was wondering if I should buy a different harness with the xDeep Stealth 2.0 Tec Bladder? I'm open to buying it and modifying it, buying a different harness, or making my own. I was just wondering what people have done and would recommend. I'd like to also have it light/compact enough to travel with. The one I used definitely was.

Did not like the crotch strap. Wish it was 2 bands (1 per leg) instead of just one across so it wasn't so tight on your crotch.
Did not like the rubber moveable "D Rings" on the waistband. I feel like they should be more substantial (prefer metal) and don't need to be so narrow making it less awkward to clip.
Did not like the LPI it kept getting stuck on mine.

Thanks!

ND...

Have a look at DiveRite SM products on DGX's web-site...I know that Lamar Hines at DR is constantly updating his products to keep up with technological improvements/advancements...and common preferences...his products are among the best as far as durability and initial cost...and DGX's after sales support is the best in the industry...

Best...

Warren

I've made all my harnesses with DECO plates and other random hardware from various places. I started with a dual DECO wing then switched to a Razor wing when I went tech.

Welcome to sidemount. You'll never finish "optimizing" your rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom