Recommendations for cave instructors in Texas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DankTank

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to get cave certified but it seems like there are even fewer places that offer this course than there are caves in Texas. Has anyone ever gotten certified here? I have found a couple places that do cavern and on place that has an artificial cave made up of drainage pipes sunk in a lake but I'd like to be certified with actual cave experience if possible.

sidemount or backmount?

Cavern/Intro is great in FL

Full is great in mexico (more complicated caves)

I can personally recommend Edd Sorenson & Dan Patterson. Edd Sorenson is West of Tallahassee so may be within a decent distance to you

One of the best answers you will get will come from a tech instructor in Texas area that does this stuff. I live in DFW area and can recommend a great instructor to answer your question. Rich over at international scuba in Carrollton Tx. I know he does a lot of cave diving in Florida and mexico. Not sure if he teaches full cave in Texas but he can tell you honest who to go with and where. Ask for Rich cause you have Tech questions. (972) 416-8400

sidemount or backmount?

Cavern/Intro is great in FL

Full is great in mexico (more complicated caves)

I can personally recommend Edd Sorenson & Dan Patterson. Edd Sorenson is West of Tallahassee so may be within a decent distance to you

How long would the certification process take in florida?

One of the best answers you will get will come from a tech instructor in Texas area that does this stuff. I live in DFW area and can recommend a great instructor to answer your question. Rich over at international scuba in Carrollton Tx. I know he does a lot of cave diving in Florida and mexico. Not sure if he teaches full cave in Texas but he can tell you honest who to go with and where. Ask for Rich cause you have Tech questions. (972) 416-8400

I'm actually very close by to that place! Thank you!

Go to Mexico, talk to the guys at Protec unless you're going the GUE route. I'd recommend just doing it in sidemount.

I'm looking to get cave certified but it seems like there are even fewer places that offer this course than there are caves in Texas. Has anyone ever gotten certified here? I have found a couple places that do cavern and on place that has an artificial cave made up of drainage pipes sunk in a lake but I'd like to be certified with actual cave experience if possible.
I know a guy in Austin who went through GUE's cave 1 in High Springs Florida. I believe all the actual divable caves in Texas are permit only, and they don't give out many permits. The caves suitable for training cave divers have certain requirements as to visibility, flow, size and silting potential, so just having an overhead environment isn't enough.

Sam Meacham might still be in San Marcos and he's done some amazing things. Home He's not a cave diving instructor, but he's a very serious cave diver and GUE instructor. Worth talking to.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/projects/quintana-roo-meacham-project/

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom