Recommendations for dive ops in Khao Lak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bayswaterbabe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy & I have booked a 2-week holiday to Khao Lak, staying at the Khao Lak Resort, 16th-30th April. We would like to dive Richelieu Rock, Koh Bon/Koh Tachai and of course the Similans.

Can anyone recommend a good local dive op that do day-trips to these sites, preferrably one that does regular trips to Richelieu Rock? I am aware that some of the dive ops do not schedule trips to Richelieu so late in the season due to weather conditions. I wonder if that is because they cater mainly for inexperienced divers? My buddy & I are both very experienced with over 300 dives each, so we would prefer to use a dive op that caters for the more experienced divers.

Any recommendations and/or advice gratefully received, including what to do/where to go in Khao Lak.

Lily

Well, all the dayboats go to the Similans, so that won't be a problem. Several go to Bon and a couple go to Tachai. As far as I know, Big Blue is the only one with daytrips to Richelieu.

If the weather is good, no problem. If it's choppy, the trip to Richelieu on a speedboat - not to mention the surface interval on a speedboat in the middle of nowhere - can be very uncomfortable. If conditions aren't safe, they don't go out; but I've met several (ok, 3) dm's/instructors who've been violently seasick the first time in their lives on that trip.

As I said, it depends on the weather.

You haven't considered a live-aboard instead? The bigger boats are much more comfortable in rough conditions and it's much more relaxing to be on a boat, doing 4 dives a day rather than the hassle of speedboat back and forth every day for 2 dives.

We go out 16th - 20th April for our last trip, but several others are going out later than that. Well worth considering imho.......

Lily, the ops that go to Richelieu for daytrips (and there are some other than Big Blue that schedule trips there, though that is my own favorite one) all use speedboats to make the trip. The suspension of trips up there doesn't have to do with the experience level of the divers, but the fact that the speedboat trip in rough seas is dangerous and slow. Operators just don't do trips out that far if there are seas.

We were in Khao Lak a few months after the Tsunami and Sea Dragon was one of the few ops up and running in that area. None the less we had a great 5 day trip to the Similans, didn't do Richelieu though. I would highly recommend Sea Dragon.

Thanks very much for the info, Aquamarin. I have previously done a trip on the Queen Scuba but this time my buddy would prefer a resort-based holiday, hence day-trips instead.

I just called Big Blue - they plan to continue with day trips until 20th April, so you should have time for a couple with them (weather permitting obviously). After the 20th I'd consider going with IQ; their day boat, Pinyo, is bigger, much more comfortable than a speedboat AND you get breakfast on the way out :wink:

See you out there - I'll be the woman waving from the big Swedish-colored boat *lol*

Karin

Sea Bees. I absolutely love these guys. They have a live-aboard that does a 3 day trip to the Similans followed by a 3 day trip to Richelieu. I've done several dives in the South Pacific and Richelieu was by best dive ever -- 5 ghost pipe fish, 3 cuttlefish, 5 species of shrimp, so many lion fish it got boring.

My family and I have dived with Sea Bees twice. Good dive masters, nice boats, good food, very solid operation.

Have a great trip!

I have heard really good things about IQ for the daytrips and about Wicked Diving and Khao Lak Scuba Adventures for the liveaboards. Not sure of their e-mail addresses but worth searching for them on the web.

Took the 3 day 2 night trip with Sea Bees on their Genesis boat out of Thap Lamu near Khao Lak last month; it has on-board nitrox charging and for a diver with your experience a very good trip which includes Richelieu rock; the boat has two single cabins if you are solo, cost a little on high side but with good service. Sea Bees Diving ~ Phuket, Khao Lak ~ Thailand | Tauchen in Thailand

Try khaolakscubaadventures.com, they easily chat with you through skype.

Ask for Meike, I was there one week ago (doing 4n/liveaboard and daytrip also) and everything was fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom