Recommendations for divemaster course in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are interested in seeing what the lifestyle is like for divemaster trainees and instructor candidates on Koh Tao it is a good idea to check out this blog GoPro-DiveTalk - Ambition to become PADI divemaster or scuba dive instructor on tropical island Koh Tao in Thailand? Or already working on it? Check this site for experiences, fun, photos and information and share yours! | Home which is linked to the padi website. Gives a cool representation of taking the opportunity to become a dive professional.

In my experience I would simply recommend you do any training at home. Much higher standards.

Steven,

Penguintom had not very good experiences in both Pattaya and Koh Chang, so now according to him the whole dive industry in Thailand is the same it seems, if I interpret his comments correctly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's very unfortunate that PT had these experiences but you can't measure the whole of Thailand's dive industry by your experiences PT, at two locations that aren't known for their first class diving. I'm not sure what you were promised but maybe you should have axes to grind with the people that promised you things they couldn't deliver but don't confuse this with all of the dive industry in Thailand.

In my experience I would simply recommend you do any training at home. Much higher standards.

Brilliant advice! Been doing it for years.

Steal the book, read it and go and do the dives.

We call ourselves STD divers, Self- Trained -Divers.

Cave, CCR, deep wreck, it's all possible with no pre-requisites and minimal fuss with STD. and no pesky certification fees and renwals!

I'm the best instructor I've ever had,

Last edited:
Brilliant advice! Been doing it for years.

Steal the book, read it and go and do the dives.

We call ourselves STD divers, Self- Trained -Divers.

Cave, CCR, deep wreck, it's all possible with no pre-requisites and minimal fuss with STD. and no pesky certification fees and renwals!

I'm the best instructor I've ever had,

Sounds like a good system to me. Done quite a bit along the same lines myself.

I don't know about Pattaya, muff-divers, ladyboys or the like. But I once had a scuba DM intern from the STD Gulf of Thailand branch of dive training agencies. Since STD doesn't issue cards, he paid his money and bought his PADI DM card someplace. With a brand-new bp/w that he bought online (and hadn't managed to teach himself how to rig) he presented himself to me. His STD instructor, unfortunately, left a lot of information out of his training, and I was forced to get rid of him after the first course he assisted in. At one point, after I asked why he had an uncontrolled ascent from a safety stop, he let it slip that he had 36 dives and that his Russian instructor friend told him he was ready to be a pro so he thought he'd go for it, especially since he didn't trust anybody else to teach his girlfriend how to dive.

Last edited:
I don't know about Pattaya, but I once had a DM intern from the STD Gulf of Thailand branch. Since STD doesn't issue cards, he paid his money and bought his PADI DM card someplace. With a brand-new bp/w that he bought online (and hadn't managed to teach himself how to rig) he presented himself to me. His STD instructor, unfortunately, left a lot of information out of his training, and I was forced to get rid of him after the first course he assisted in. At one point, after I asked why he had an uncontrolled ascent from a safety stop, he let it slip that he had 36 dives and that his Russian instructor friend told him he was ready to be a pro so he thought he'd go for it, especially since he didn't trust anybody else to teach his girlfriend how to dive.

This is exactly the type of instance that I keep seeing complaints about on these forums and indeed have experienced myself on numerous occasions.
People paying good money to go diving / do diver training only to find themselves in the hands of inept 'dive professionals'.

Back
Top Bottom