• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Recommendations for Easy Breathing Regs?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by cogito222, Nov 11, 2019.

1. cogito222

cogito222 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Thanks, everybody!

2. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    There was quite a long thread discussing ANSTI simulator testing of regulators a little over 2 years ago. It is an interesting topic, most divers probably do not know much about it. Latest ScubaLabs reg test - huh?

Lorenzoid likes this.
  3. Dainius

Dainius Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    When I did my OW I was amazed how easy it was to breath from instructors regulator. I wanted to have one of those for sure...
    Few dives later other DM (same shop) told me, that his regulator is more difficult to breath than renting one. He prefer to suck air and that helps him to safe some air and have less weight as he doesn't breath in deeply.

After that I realized there is no right way, just matter of taste.

4. lexvil

lexvil Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    While there is no “right way” there is a wrong way.

5. Bigbella

Bigbella Barracuda

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    To a degree, it truly is a matter of taste. The following, is an excerpt from the Poseidon Xstream repair manual,

"Some divers like the setting extremely light, and some prefer a higher cracking pressure. Ask your customer. Technically, Xstream can be adjusted from 0 mm.w.c to > 100 mm.w.c. The risk for a free flow increases with decreasing cracking pressure. Below 25 mm.w.c in a certain attitude (exhalation diaphragm the shallowest and inhalation diaphragm the deepest), the regulator inhalation valve will stay permanently open, bubbling. Above 40 mm.w.c the breathing doesn’t feel good."