Recommendations for Easy Breathing Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Regulators

Some reading for the original poster. You can scroll through the list for top regs for each year. There are ease of breathing graphs for different rates and depths for each reg so you can compare them easily. They don't review every reg every year so you have to look at earlier years to find a particular reg.
There was quite a long thread discussing ANSTI simulator testing of regulators a little over 2 years ago. It is an interesting topic, most divers probably do not know much about it. Latest ScubaLabs reg test - huh?

When I did my OW I was amazed how easy it was to breath from instructors regulator. I wanted to have one of those for sure...
Few dives later other DM (same shop) told me, that his regulator is more difficult to breath than renting one. He prefer to suck air and that helps him to safe some air and have less weight as he doesn't breath in deeply.

After that I realized there is no right way, just matter of taste.

When I did my OW I was amazed how easy it was to breath from instructors regulator. I wanted to have one of those for sure...
Few dives later other DM (same shop) told me, that his regulator is more difficult to breath than renting one. He prefer to suck air and that helps him to safe some air and have less weight as he doesn't breath in deeply.

While there is no “right way” there is a wrong way.

To a degree, it truly is a matter of taste. The following, is an excerpt from the Poseidon Xstream repair manual,

"Some divers like the setting extremely light, and some prefer a higher cracking pressure. Ask your customer. Technically, Xstream can be adjusted from 0 mm.w.c to > 100 mm.w.c. The risk for a free flow increases with decreasing cracking pressure. Below 25 mm.w.c in a certain attitude (exhalation diaphragm the shallowest and inhalation diaphragm the deepest), the regulator inhalation valve will stay permanently open, bubbling. Above 40 mm.w.c the breathing doesn’t feel good."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom