Recommendations For End Of May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello NCers!

I will be visiting your awesome state soon with my partner and assuming I'll have the time, I'd love to get a quick dive here or there.

How cold is the water towards the end of May?

Any recommendations on who I can dive with also? I don't think I will be lugging my equipment with me on a transatlantic dive for only a day of diving so I'd need to rent the gear... I am also looking for an LDS that is less about making the money, more about the quality... even if it means spending a little more...

Thanks!
C

Depends on where are you going to be? I can only speak for coast, most notably Morehead City. You can expect offshore water bottom temps (~25+ miles out) to be in the middle 70s. The inshore wrecks (~10 miles) you can expect to be in the high 60s-low 70s. With the wrecks so far out it is not unusual to have a charter cancelled due to high winds, so keep this in mind if you are going out of your way just to dive.

Morehead City area there are really only 2 operators, Olympus and Discovery. There is also Tortuga Charters (6-pack boat) but they don't have rental gear. All are reputable businesses and they are going to show you a good, safe time. As you can imagine with only 2 operators pricing is pretty much identical.

I've never dove with any of the charters that run out of Wilmington, but from what I hear you want to either dive with Aquatic Safaris or Patriot Dive Center.

There is a quarry up around the Raleigh area. I've personally never dove it so I'll let someone else speak to that. There's a poster named Steve that frequently post on here, he might be able to give you a report of what to expect there.

Good luck, have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom