Recommendations for extended education in Playa del Carmen (instructor/LDS)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guille G

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone!
TL;DR - I am currently living in Playa del Carmen and looking forward to extend my education and training beyond AOW. Do you have any recommendations for a good op here to do training with? I live in Playa so not rushed for time.

For some more context:
My experience with OW and AOW were with instructors that were nice, fun and safe but focused on making things easy and fast. It was fun, but I'm looking for an instructor who is more likely to geek out about diving and interested in challenging/mentoring a bit. I know I want to do the Nitrox cert and a specialty or two before doing rescue.

Also, looking to buy my own gear (I have my mask and computer only) - but there seems to be very limited stock in local shops and don't want to buy stuff that has to fit online. Are there any bigger shops more likely to have, say, a strong selection of fins/boots to try on in the area (Tulum - Playa - Puerto Morelos - Cancún are fine)?

Thank you all! I've been lurking around for a while and loving the content in this place :)

Did you say "geek out about diving and interested in challenging/mentoring"? Have you heard of the training agency GUE? Consider asking about GUE's Fundamentals course at Zero Gravity in Puerto Aventuras. I believe Jon Kieren in Tulum (@kierentec) also teaches Fundamentals. You'll get plenty of geeking out!

+1 for Cenote Xperience. Martin is probably the best diver I have ever seen and if geeking out is what you want, cave divers are the ultimate scuba nerds. The ones that aren't...are dead. Go dive a Cenote or 5 with them and watch their approach to diving. I think you will find what you are looking for.

Safe diving,
Jay

Thank you all so much!
I'll certainly shoot CenoteXperience an email, they seem to be a common recommendation on SB. I'll be using the approach @Jayfarmlaw suggested - go fun dive with two or three of the shops that come on the short list, and pick one for a class. I love the cenotes by the way, Hell's Bells and Dreamgate were probably two of my favourite dives ever (though I admit that is a short list of 40 total dives).

I took a look at ProTec (they have a shop in Playa as well) and researched the GUE fundies courses. I really appreciate these suggestions but it seems a bit advanced for my current level. Intro to technical or cave seems a bit much until I at least do rescue and have a few more fun dives in - would that be a fair assessment?

Thanks again for the recommendations. If you have any more on where to find a good selection of fins to try out and buy, that'll help too (most shops seem to have like one model in stock so it is hard to compare fit, weight, etc).

Happy diving!!

I really appreciate these suggestions but it seems a bit advanced for my current level. Intro to technical or cave seems a bit much until I at least do rescue and have a few more fun dives in - would that be a fair assessment?

No, it isn't a fair assessment :) If you are ready to put the right effort, the earlier you take fundies (or similar classes), the better it is.

Take a basics course. It will include Buoyancy Trim Propulsion. The holy grail of scuba diving. That course will change you as a diver. Whoever you get that from. If you dive XDeep gear then ProTec is the home of XDeep. Patrick from Protec is one of the owners and is the key designer of that gear. You will get the most knowledgeable people and a first class shop at either Playa or Tulum.

. . . researched the GUE fundies courses. I really appreciate these suggestions but it seems a bit advanced for my current level. Intro to technical or cave seems a bit much until I at least do rescue and have a few more fun dives in - would that be a fair assessment?

I don't want to sound like a Fundies evangelist or something, but no, Fundies is not necessarily "intro to tech" because a lot of divers take Fundies to simply improve their diving, some just a few dozen dives after their OW course. Fundies skills are based on philosophies first developed in the tech diving world, but they are applicable to all diving. There are also non-GUE instructors who offer customized courses they refer to by names such as "scuba boot camp," "scuba tune-up," etc. Sure, check out instructors at Pro-Tec and other shops, but don't write off Fundies as being something from a different world. Fundies or a similar course can help refine skills, give divers new ways to think about things, and generally just help one become a more skillful, thinking diver, even if their only goal is to enjoy seeing the pretty fish on the reefs. Do some searches here on SB to see what others have said about Fundies. It's not an easy course, but if you want to be a better diver, consider it. When I took Fundies, I was strictly a vacation diver, visiting places like Cozumel. After taking Fundies, I found diving to be more enjoyable, because I felt more confident and the procedures were so burned into my brain that I could focus on simply enjoying the dive. And by all means, don't hesitate to call Zero Gravity and discuss your goals with an instructor. I have never met a GUE instructor who was not willing to spend time chatting about goals and how to achieve them. Okay, I'll shut up now.

i have trained with frank at blue life. but unless you are looking at tech or cavern / cave you would be training with a different instructor.

i have not done any training with tank ha but they are our go to shop for diving in the area. you can talk to matt there.

as far as buying gear down there, it will prob be pretty pricey. i would find the shop you want to train with and use the rental gear to find out what works for you as far as sizing goes. if you are open to the idea of using a back plate and wing, you could get an alluminum bp and wing, and then you just cut the webbing to fit. kind of a one size fits all sort a deal.

Back
Top Bottom