Recommendations for Flights to Hurghada from US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you considered flying through Toronto? I think Egyptair flies non-stops Toronto to Cairo. I have no idea about the price, but it could be an option.

I live near Detroit and took a trip to Hurghada this past fall. I spent *days* looking for US to Egypt flights. The best I could do was $1600, and required 12+ hour *overnight* sleep-in-the-airport layovers both ways. Yuck. Checked from NY, Chicago, Miami, DC, etc. Same deal.

Ended up getting a flight from Toronto to Cairo nonstop, and then 1-hour flight to Hurghada: 1PM Eastern to 10AM local arrival in Hurghada. $900, including *two* 50-pound bags, on EgyptAir. *Well* worth the trip to Toronto for me. *Maybe* not for you in Arizona...

Flights to Egypt from the US are virtually non-existent -- you'll need to fly to Egypt from somewhere else. If that somewhere else is Europe, given the way flights are scheduled and time zones are arranged, it pretty much forced a night arrival, and a next-day departure -- *and* a much higher flight time *and* price. Especially with baggage included. There were a few options through places like Turkey that might have worked slightly better, but still quite unappealing.

I would try to research flights from a nearby non-US city: maybe Vancouver or Mexico City? It made a *real* difference in my case.

Hope you can work it out. I did a week liveaboard with Emperor Divers. It was worth the effort.

I have several Egyptian friends who travel to Cairo yearly. Almost all the time, they either go from Toronto (CYYZ) or New York (JFK).

Link

For Hurghada, you need to go to Europe then connect.Example connect from Munich (EDDM) to Hurghada (HEGN).

Link

Yes, I do like to memorize the airport codes. It's a hobby of mine.:)

I live near Detroit and took a trip to Hurghada this past fall. I spent *days* looking for US to Egypt flights. The best I could do was $1600, and required 12+ hour *overnight* sleep-in-the-airport layovers both ways. Yuck. Checked from NY, Chicago, Miami, DC, etc. Same deal.

Ended up getting a flight from Toronto to Cairo nonstop, and then 1-hour flight to Hurghada: 1PM Eastern to 10AM local arrival in Hurghada. $900, including *two* 50-pound bags, on EgyptAir. *Well* worth the trip to Toronto for me. *Maybe* not for you in Arizona...

Flights to Egypt from the US are virtually non-existent -- you'll need to fly to Egypt from somewhere else. If that somewhere else is Europe, given the way flights are scheduled and time zones are arranged, it pretty much forced a night arrival, and a next-day departure -- *and* a much higher flight time *and* price. Especially with baggage included. There were a few options through places like Turkey that might have worked slightly better, but still quite unappealing.

I would try to research flights from a nearby non-US city: maybe Vancouver or Mexico City? It made a *real* difference in my case.

Hope you can work it out. I did a week liveaboard with Emperor Divers. It was worth the effort.
One way from Tuscon to Toronto can be obtained for less that $200. (Picking a random date in August, I went on Orbitz and saw flights for a low as $135.)

Actually, it's a little over $200, plus another $70 for two bags. Add that to the $680 for the rest of the trip, and it's about the same as us flying out of LAX. I have credit on Southwest to get to LAX, and the Turkish Air flight is nonstop to Istanbul and then on to Hurgada for $1,025. The flight from Tucson to Toronto is not nonstop. The times also don't work out to go to Toronto to allow us to connect with Turkish Air. I tried, but no go.

@Laurie S. sometimes, flight connections are like stand up comedy. Timing is everything.

Hope ya have an amazing trip!

Thanks! I did a little more checking this morning, and for the best price and ease of travel, the LAX route works best for us. This should be an awesome trip--after the week long liveaboard, which also is a photo workshop, we have a week-long land tour of the archaeological sites. I'm a professional archaeologist and became fascinated by Egypt when I was only five years old. Then, we fly to Manila to do six days at Crystal Blue in Anilao. We end up the fun by flying to Jakarta to meet up with a group to do 12 days in Alor. We will do a full circumnavigation of the world on this trip, which alone is pretty cool.

Have you checked your options with Turkish Airlines through Houston? We are flying on Turkish Airlines in April/May from Houston to Hurghada via Istanbul. At the time I booked it was less than $1,000 per person

Yes, that was my first choice. For us coming from Tucson, it was several hundred dollars more expensive. I ended up getting a flight out of LAX for $1,025. I have credit on Southwest, so it won't cost anything to get to LAX.

Avoid Thompson/sleazyjet
From London at all costs. Their carryon sizing is approximately the size of a mouse’s colostomy bag and you have to ‘identify and pay special surcharge if are carrying any diving equipment’ I ended up payinng twice for one extra bag as I had initially paid for an extra bag ( now that I discovered that my standard carryon that is accepted by most airlines is far too big by their measurements) and then realized I hadnt stipulated it’s diving gear (BCD etc) so I had to pay AGAIN as they have a caveat that if they discover it at checkin and you haven’t identified it and paid previously,they charge you for deskside checkin excess, not standard ‘buy ahead extra bag’ which would have been around $500 per bag. After learning of this and a sleepless night in London crapping my pants, I got to the airport, I asked the guy at checkin the difference between ‘scuba’ gear and ‘snorkeling gear’ and he shrugged and said ‘my job is to just make sure you pay more money than your ticket mate, because you paid for the extra bags I don’t care, but if you hadn’t paid any extra money for anything I would be searching through them’ I responded that I appreciated this astounding honesty.. he shrugged again and said ‘that’s what it is mate, so I see no reason to lie’...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom