Recommendations for lion fish hunting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Hard - Kabir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello! I am looking to go on a spearfishing and/or lion fish hunting trip and am trying to figure out if there are any hot spots where there are significant populations accessible to divers. I know they are everywhere in the Caribbean but looking for multiple encounters / spears to make a video for my channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/DiveHard in case you are interested).

Any tips / experiences would be much appreciated! I've speared them in Mexico and Florida but looking for particularly impacted / high population area if possible. Shallow would be ideal but I know they like it deep. Cheers!

Kabir

......hot spots where there are significant populations...... / high population area if possible. Shallow would be ideal....
I talked to a Grand Cayman resident last week. East side is absolutely, as he said..."Out of control" and don't have to move more than 100 ft to fill your ZooKeeper. Covid restrictions are soon going to ease up because they need the vacationers badly. If you want to make a Lionfish Video - GC is the best place for it.

I talked to a Grand Cayman resident last week. East side is absolutely, as he said..."Out of control" and don't have to move more than 100 ft to fill your ZooKeeper. Covid restrictions are soon going to ease up because they need the vacationers badly. If you want to make a Lionfish Video - GC is the best place for it.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check out GC... and keep fingers crossed for lifting of restrictions. Cheers,
KAbir

In south east Florida, I have bagged them in as little as 10' of water. Not all of them hang deep. They are everywhere now. They chase the food supply wherever it goes.

My one piece of advice is to use a 3-prong tip on your pole spear. I tried using a single point one time & the little bugger slid down the shaft & got me as I was trying to cut off his spines. Ouch.

I highly recommend the Florida Keys Lionfish Derby & Festival if interested in staying in the US. Plenty along the gulf coast.

Back
Top Bottom