Recommendations for September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

busybugs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in southern Ontario for a few weeks in September 6th-18th. I'd like some advice/suggestions about some interesting dive spots. Other than the dives completed while obtaining my Open Water C-card in Picton, I have not done any diving in Ontario. As far as certifications, I have both Advanced and Enriched Air.

TIA!

The good news is that September is one of the warmest months to dive in Southern Ontario since the water holds the heat from summer for some time. The bad news is that you'll still need at least a 7mm wetsuit. I at least enjoy diving without a hood in August and September.

I dive at Lake Simcoe usually until December. I know Humber Bay is popular in Toronto, but I have only dived from there once on a charter because I don't like the busy of Toronto. Depending on what part of Southern Ontario you're in you could also look at the Welland Scuba Park, or even Tobermory or Brockville.

Feel free to hit me up if you want a buddy in Barrie or Shanty Bay on Lake Simcoe.

I don’t know where in Southern Ontario you will be but I would recommend Tobermory first, Brockville second. They can be further than you’re willing to drive depending where you are though.

The good news is that September is one of the warmest months to dive in Southern Ontario since the water holds the heat from summer for some time. The bad news is that you'll still need at least a 7mm wetsuit. I at least enjoy diving without a hood in August and September.

I dive at Lake Simcoe usually until December. I know Humber Bay is popular in Toronto, but I have only dived from there once on a charter because I don't like the busy of Toronto. Depending on what part of Southern Ontario you're in you could also look at the Welland Scuba Park, or even Tobermory or Brockville.

Feel free to hit me up if you want a buddy in Barrie or Shanty Bay on Lake Simcoe.
As a kid, my family used to visit relatives in Beaverton - I wonder if they still live there. Anything interesting to see in Lake Simcoe? I will likely be based in Port Perry for most of my time so Lake Simcoe is an easy peasy drive.

I don’t know where in Southern Ontario you will be but I would recommend Tobermory first, Brockville second. They can be further than you’re willing to drive depending where you are though.
I will be staying somewhere in the middle really (Port Perry). The drive to Brockville is an easy one - just jump on the 401. Never been north of Barry really so I don't know much about realistic driving times. Google Maps shows like a 4 hour drive to Tobermory...

I will be staying somewhere in the middle really (Port Perry). The drive to Brockville is an easy one - just jump on the 401. Never been north of Barry really so I don't know much about realistic driving times. Google Maps shows like a 4 hour drive to Tobermory...

Brockville will be the easier/faster dive. Tobermory will be 4+ hrs and there are no major highways going there.

The river Cornwall to Brockville has some easy dives and friendly divers. Towards Toronto I've not dove yet.
I like the sound of easy and friendly divers. I'm trying to convince my sister and brother-in-law (Open Water C-cards) to join me, so I'd like to go somewhere suitable for divers of all levels of ability.

Brockville will be the easier/faster dive. Tobermory will be 4+ hrs and there are no major highways going there.
That's what I was thinking. However, aren't the dives at Tobermory excellent? Or is it certain wrecks?

Anything interesting to see in Lake Simcoe?

Most of the sites I dive have small boats. One has four, but only two are accessible with OW, and one is very difficult to reach on a single tank. One has a cabin cruiser with a skeleton sitting on the toilet at about 20', so it is easy and fun. The JS Morrison at Centennial Beach is large but badly deteriorated. It is also shallow and popular with new divers. I would be delighted to show you and your friends any or all of those sites.

None of them can hold a candle to Toby or Brockville, but I enjoy them and they're close enough that I can get wet on a regular basis.

It looks like it would be about an hour and a half away from Port Perry. I'm in Aurora, so they're about an hour away for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom