Recommendations on Cheap Photo Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's nothing saying you can't keep the subject lit longer.

This heavily depends on the subject. Corals & stuff, sure, but anything mobile like a fish is likely to swim away when you shine a big floodlight in its direction. I shoot with a pair of Archon D36V LEDs, and this happens way too often - much as I loathe to part with the money, I see a pair of ST-100s in my future. Also, one of the main reasons of using artificial light is to overpower the green/blue tint of ambient lighting at depth, and a longer exposure will do nothing to help with that.

When I first started underwater I didn't have a strobe at all and would use my flashlight from the side like Snoweman mentioned and then fill with the on camera flash. Of course it would normally light the particulate so I would turn the flash compensation down as low as possible and just use it to fill the shadows form my flashlight while also getting as close as possible. This worked great until I picked up my first strobe. Just stay away from Sea & Sea, they are very unreliable and I've had the actual housing flood so I had to eat the entire cost of it. A used Inon strobe would be an excellent choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom