Recommendations on Roatan for diver and non-diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Beginning to plan for a roatan trip this winter. I'm a diver, my partner is not. Looking for recommendations for a hotel where she can relax by the beach or pool in the morning while I'm diving. Would also prefer a hotel within walking distance to bars and restaurants. I've done some searching, but having trouble pinpointing something with our needs. Thanks in advance.

Pretty much any hotel in West Bay and West End will meet those criteria. What is it that you don't like about the places you gave looked at?

Reactions: Doc
What Cathy said...One of the beachfront condo resorts also has a fabulous pool complex - although several of them do. Roatan Resort | Infinity Bay Spa & Beach Resort

You might (or not) want to stay away from the area near Bananarama as the cruise excursions go there.

There's also somewhat of a beach in the West End but it's nowhere near as nice. At some of the lower priced proerties it's across the street and somewhat disappears at high tide.
It's OK at Sueno Del Mar if that property is of interest - it's kind of older and budget. Not sure if they have a pool either.

Upscale nearby - Xbalanque - arguably one of the nicer boutique properties on Roatan. Notice the beach at the start of the video though - there it's not particularly deep or wide - there's another resort next door.

The West Ebd a little more interesting area from a non-dive perspective than West Bay IMO. More eclectic mix of shops, restaurants, most of the nightlife etc.

Anything around Half Moon Bay - although some might show a small beach - is actually mostly on ironshore. We rent on the east point - the waves crashing into the waterfront at night are soothing but 10' down the cliff..

One more to look at - Luna Beach Resort. It's sort of 1/2 way between West Bay and the West End - you can walk to the West End for dinner - which you will do since they don't serve it. Decent beach, pool, diveshop on-site. Pretty extensive snorkel trail there if your SO does that. It is 10-15mins walk to the West End though.The water taxi does pick up off their dock and goes to either area.

Sand Flies everywhere so use something with Deet in it anytime you're on the beach. Especially at dusk.

Last edited:
Any specific reason for Roatan, just asking since it is less than ideal for non diving SO's. Depending on the person's temperment it could damage your odds of getting them to go to other dive destinations.

All of the AI dive resorts often mentioned here - AKR, Cocoview, Fantasy Ialand, Media Luna etc. are isolated by geography so your SO would have nowhere to walk to.

Thanks for the replies so far. There's nothing in particular that's turned me off to any property. It's just been hard to determine exactly how much beach some of the places have and how close they are to restaurants.

My partner isn't a shopper or adventurer, she really just wants to lay in the sun, so anywhere we go where she can do that is fine. I've heard good things about roatan diving which is the lure to me.

She wants West Bay then. Restaurants are intermingled among/between the resorts and many are beachfront.

the beach:
west-bay-village.jpg

the above mentioned Infinity Bay

160510_0112-1000.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom