Recommendations where to do Open Water course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all, Just joined. Im from the UK, and have always promised myself to do the course. I want to do it in a very exotic and saught after resort.

Philippines, Maldives or where do you recommend?

Thanks for your replies :thumb2:

Hi all, Just joined. Im from the UK, and have always promised myself to do the course. I want to do it in a very exotic and saught after resort.

Philippines, Maldives or where do you recommend?

Thanks for your replies :thumb2:

Welcome to Scubaboard!

Do you not plan on diving around your home area?

I certainly understand you wanting to dive in an exotic place but unless you will only ever be traveling to dive, the best thing to do, is learn in your own area first.

Welcome to Scubaboard!

Do you not plan on diving around your home area?

I certainly understand you wanting to dive in an exotic place but unless you will only ever be traveling to dive, the vest thing to do, is learn in your own area first.

Hi,

I do not intend to dive in the UK. I love travelling abroad, and it would be an activity to do whilst away.

Have you ever been to Grenada? Or are you thinking more of places like the Red Sea in Egypt or perhaps Bali in Indonesia?

What kind of overall budget did you have in mind and how long can you be away at one time?

wakatobi is real nice and exotic. Maybe not optimal for a single diver though.And not cheap.
Wakatobi: Luxury Dive Resort

It's only sort of exotic but there's excellent diving on Grand Cayman, I believe there's still a weekly direct flight from the UK.
Cayman Islands Official Tourism Website | Welcome to the Cayman Islands
  1. There's about 2 dozen+ dive operations, a dive-safe wreck you can penetrate once you have your c-card (with a divemaster along) and Stingray City is the most fun 15' dive in the area. Also a lot of coral reef with over 300 dive sites. The Marriott Grand or the Westin are nice, on famous Seven Mile Beach and have a Red Sail Watersports location on site so would be good for your cert classes. Also they sometimes beach a boat and pick you up to dive nearby.
  2. It's very pleasant there clean and there;s almost no crime. Some of the better restaurants in NYC and elsewhere have locations there as well.
  3. It is in the Hurricane Belt so late summer/fall travel could be impacted

Do all yout course work locally, and your certification dive at the exotic location. You will be able to enjoy more dive time that way.

I would say - choose an agency first (e.g., PADI, SSI, BSAC, etc).

- If you're going with PADI, I would suggest going with a shop that's registered as either a 5 Star shop or resort and/or IDC, as these tend to be indicators of high quality shops.

Do all yout course work locally, and your certification dive at the exotic location. You will be able to enjoy more dive time that way.
good advice. PADI and other agencies also offer E-learning so you do the boring stuff online b4 you go

From the UK, I would suggested the Red Sea in Egypt. There is good diving there and it is very budget friendly while having great day boats that are liveaboard style. It’s a quick flight for you.

As others have mentioned, do your classroom and pool work before you go then refer out to do your open water dives. I suggest Voodoo Divers in the Hurghada area.

Find a place like Cozumel where you will do drift dives. It's so much better than finning everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom