recommended brands for bunions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carmensandiego

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
(Apologies in advance if posted to the wrong section, but I didn't see a fin/booties thread. )

So, I have moderate bunions which have made wearing booties/fins painful. I definitely need booties for cushioning but can't find any that are wider enough in the toe box. All the booties I've seen so far look like the typical shape with more of a tapered end.

I *did* see some "alternative" fin product out there that...just replaces fins on the sole with fins on the SHINS and I am not quite ready/sure that'll work for me.

Anybody got any recommendations? thanks in advance!

You might consider something like the Altama Maritime Assault shoe/boot line.

They are sneaker like in construction and available in wide widths. I would expect that the rigidity of the sole in the ball area would help to reduce the pressure against the joint from the fin footpocket.

They do not provide any inherent thermal protection. I wear 3mm neoprene socks with them for warm-water diving. I would expect that the soft neoprene would help to further cushion you from irritation and depending on fit you might be able to stich and/or glue on additional spot padding to the socks.

Of course you'll likely need to refit fins.

They are sneaker like in construction and available in wide widths. I would expect that the rigidity of the sole in the ball area would help to reduce the pressure against the joint from the fin footpocket.

They do not provide any inherent thermal protection. I wear 3mm neoprene socks with them for warm-water diving.

Do you have to wear bigger size Altama Maritime Assault shoe/boot than your street shoe size because of the 3mm neoprene socks?

Do you have to wear bigger size Altama Maritime Assault shoe/boot than your street shoe size because of the 3mm neoprene socks?
No, I usually wear somewhere between a US 8.5 - 9.5, depending on the particular shoe. Width for me sometimes requires going up a size as wide-sizes are rarely available.
I ordered a 9W in the AMA and it is comfortable with the 3mm neoprene socks.

Try drysuit "rock boots". Each manufacturer tends to size differently DUI brand is on the wider side I recall. You will want to use neoprene socks with them and definitely will want to try on in person and get fins that fit the bigger shoes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom