Recommended Dive Shop & Dives on Oahu in Oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flybigjet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Guys/Girls--

Long story short. Headed to Oahu from Denver for ten days in October. The primary reason for the trip is to have a family gathering for the recent passing of my mother, so that's the priority.

However, my wife and I (both Masters, wreck certed, reasonably experienced yada yada) would like to dive a few days since a) we're there, b) it's tough to dive in Colorado and c) it's a nice tuneup for Palau (again) in Feb.

So-- any recommendations for a great dive shop on Oahu? And recommended dives? Logistically (and with the focus being my mom's passing), we need to stay on Oahu, so no side trips to the other islands.

Thanks-- normally I'm "Research Boy", but there are too many irons in the fire (helping dad with mom's estate, recovering from major surgery, etc.) at the moment-- so I'm hoping to get a good steer from the SB crowd.

I know NOTHING about diving in Hawaii-- been there a million times, never blown bubbles.

THANKS!

R.

Hi @flybigjet

I have dived Oahu 3 times/31 dives, but not since 2009. The operator I used is no longer in business. I have heard very good things about Kaimana Divers.

I enjoyed the wrecks of the Sea Tiger and YO-257/San Pedro. There were many turtles at Turtle Canyon and some interesting sea life at Kewalo Pipe/Arch. Spitting Caves was a pretty good drift dive. Glad I did the Corsair once but would not go out of my way to do it.

Enjoy your opportunity to dive Oahu

HIghly recommend Kaimana Divers. They are a great group led by Gabe who is on this site as well. I enjoyed all my dives on Oahu, especially the Sea Tiger.

Honolulu Scuba Company is doing at 2 dive premium wreck charter in the mornings you might want to check out. What is that? basically it is two consecutive wreck dives to Sea Tiger and the YO-257/San Pedro. Nitrox included, longer surface interval. The also do three tankers on Sundays if you've got limited time and want to maximize dives.

I recommend Hawaiian Diving Adventures or Kaimana Divers. I have used both more times than I can count before and after I moved to the island.

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. Dove two days w/ Travis, Denise and Gabe from Kaimana Divers; VERY nice group, and fun was had-- the dives were mostly as a "gear check" for a bunch of new equipment prior to my next trip to Palau in Feb, but it was fun to see the turtles and play with the current on the YO.

Anyhow, Kaimana divers? Recommended!

Glad you had fun with Gabe & Co. I have been diving with Kaimana Divers for a while and I am looking forward to do so again around Thanksgiving.
I did the Palau Aggressor II in July and loved it; I followed up with a 10 day stay at the Manta Ray Bay Resort in Yap. Very highly recommended also if you have the time and before UA pulls the plug on the inter-island flight.

Very highly recommended also if you have the time and before UA pulls the plug on the inter-island flight.

???

The last I heard, the Island Hopper wasn't affected by schedule reductions-- it was directed at Japan-Korea flying, which is done by Guam crews.

Did I miss a memo?

I truly hope not, since me, my wife, another pilot I know and her husband are all headed to Palau for the Ocean Hunter III (again) in Feb 2018.

Last edited:
GUM-ROR and GUM-YAP are not affected, but effective Jan 8, the ROR-YAP flights are gone. To go from Palau to Yap (or the other way), one has to go to GUM, endure a long layover and then come back down.

This past summer, I did PA2 first, then took the late night (well, early morning) 40-min flight to Yap. This is not possible after Jan 7.

Enjoy Palau again in February! My next trip is to Oahu to dive with Gabe and Co.

Back
Top Bottom