Recommended Dive Websites ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Returning to diving after stopping for twenty years. Certified OW NASDS and Advanced ACUC in the Nineties. Only did about thirty dives at the time and just started again a few weeks ago.

What would be the Top Five or Top Ten Dive Websites (besides ScubaBoard) that you would recommend that are geared most of the time towards the general interests of the recreational diver ( I suspect that there are many excellent websites utlra-specialized in Caves, Wrecks and Tech, but that is not what I am looking for, at least for the moment) ?

For what it is worth this and the DAN site are pretty much the only ones I have found to be of interest to me. Through researching a specific topic I have found other boards that had threads on them but most of those boards were now defunct.

ScubaLab at scubadiving.com has gear reviews, and the scubadiving site often has interesting articles/advice/overviews/tips.

ScubaLab at scubadiving.com has gear reviews, and the scubadiving site often has interesting articles/advice/overviews/tips.

Would you recommend their magazine ?

I've seen that scubalab is a little biased with their tests. It's hard to find a scubalab test that says that something is a filth.

Wetpixel for photo/video info. It's about the only other forum I read except for a local one.
Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

The only other general interest forum I'm aware of is Scubatoys but I stopped reading there last year - don't remember why. Scuba Forum - Scuba Diving Forums and Discussion Board

The Dive Matrix is defunct - I received a notice a couple years ago.

Proably the best dive site links list is the Harris Links. They cover every aspect of diving to some degree. Don't be put off by the title, Dr, Harris works for the UofM.
Michigan Mafia Archive

Diver has some good articles online - I believe it's from Canada.
DIVER magazine

Last edited:
Would you recommend their magazine ?

I have had a subscription for about a year now. A birthday gift last year from my g/f.

I think the magazine is pretty well worthless.

One example: The gear "tests" are generally along the lines of "the top 10 new regulators for 2017." So, if the best regulator on the market were the ScubaPro Mk 25 (just as an example), and it didn't have some update for 2017, to make it "new", then you could read the ScubaLabs review and think you know what regulator to buy without ever having even heard of the Mk 25.

A magazine that actively publishes "tests" every year that are done in such a way that it motivates manufacturers to make changes every year just for the sake of being "new" is something that I find to be extremely distasteful. I think it has a negative effect on the whole diving community.

Back
Top Bottom