• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Recommended PLB?

Discussion in 'Training, Practices and Equipment' started by napDiver, Aug 28, 2019.

1. -JD-

-JD- Eclecticist ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    No argument as long as the pouch is treated as part of the PLB for this use. I was referring to @JohnnyC 's comment "You're going to want to peg the PLB to you anyway, so having built-in buoyancy is a non-starter" which implies to me that he would consider non-buoyant versions i.e. PLB1 with no pouch.

The 400/425 series is a little smaller than the older ResQLink+s and fits into an approx. 2-3/8"dia. x 2-5/8"- long (interior) cylinder with the (included, accessory) Velcro attachment strap on and likely room to fit a lanyard as well.

What interior dimensions did you finally come up with for your cylinder with the PLB1 & pouch?

2. Dan

Dan Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    My custom made acrylic canister has internal dimension of 2” ID x 5” L. I shaved the PLB1 corners & antennae pull tab to fit it into that internal dimension. I won’t recommend it.

3. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Not considering that would be rather irresponsible of me. Fortunately, it's a non-issue.

4. napDiver

napDiver Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Did you buy it or make it yourself? Why did you use acrylic?

I just bought a used light canister that has an acrylic cap. Should I get worried at a certain temperature that it would get too brittle n crack?

5. Dan

Dan Orca

Local plastic machine shop made it for me. It ain’t cheap.

Acrylic is clear and pretty hard plastic. I can quickly check for leak without opening the lid. I use polyethylene lid to avoid thread binding as polyethylene is softer material than acrylic.

I’m warm water diver. So temperature is a non issue for these materials of construction.

6. Dan

Dan Orca

If you get PLB1 and want to have a cheap canister for it, I can sell you my old Sony camera case that I have used for it for 2 years, ~ 200 dives, down to 144’ (44m) depth, for $10 + shipping cost.

EB90E030-7EDA-4C28-9A92-2DB8EDFA4C76.jpeg
    A07C558A-FA3D-48F1-B32E-2FF0B1FE8EDB.jpeg