recommended reference material for DM's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deco for divers should be required material for DM IMHO. Since you mentioned you like the science aspect, Wienke's books are good information. Not the easiest to read but he is doing some of the most current research.

As you have looked at becoming an instructor, you should at least get the books for Tec and read them. They have a good base of knowledge that is nice to have.

Depending on $$ you may want to get a couple OW and DM books from various agencies. While the actual content is very similar across the board, the delivery method is a bit different. This can help you later while teaching. Plus different takes on the same subject can make you more enlightened.

As far as instructing goes, I agree with Crowley. There are many great divers that can't teach. There are many average divers that can teach. All the knowledge in the world is useless to a student if you cannot present it to them well. That is for another thread though.

So I assume that your are going thru PADI and therefore have:
The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
The Best of the Undersea Journal

but if not then I recommend both.

As for other books
Diving Physiology in Plain English
Diver Down (Real World SCUBA Accidents and How to Avoid Them)

And a little out or the realm you specified but good books that put advanced and tech diving into perspective:
The Last Dive
Caverns Measureless to Man

Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom