Recommended technical harnesses and wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As wings go when diving a single tank , get a wing that does not require an STA. One less part too loose.

You can get the GT Cobra though which is 100% polymer and is available in 50mm width. All plastic with a 500lb load rating so I'd have no problem using them for scuba. Certainly better than fastex IMO.
Tom, when you say you believe it to be better than Fastex - is that in terms of durability of the material, strength / reliability of the connection between the two sides, ease of use . . .? I see that it is being produced in conjunction with ITW Nexus, which manufacturers Fastex Quick release buckles, but the product description refers to 'a high strength polymer buckle system'. So, is the material in this Cobra different than what is used in their quick releases buckles? Also, do you know of anyone who imports them to the US? Ordering directly from a Canadian distributor usually is associated with both delays and Canada Post expense.

@Colliam7 I have no problem with fastex from a durability standpoint. They're surprising durable, just too easy IMO to unbuckle. It is highly likely that the polymer is identical, but these ones are much more solid than the fastex.

Going to have to google for dealers. I get them from the manufacturers of the slings if I need them

Tom, when you say you believe it to be better than Fastex - is that in terms of durability of the material, strength / reliability of the connection between the two sides, ease of use . . .? I see that it is being produced in conjunction with ITW Nexus, which manufacturers Fastex Quick release buckles, but the product description refers to 'a high strength polymer buckle system'. So, is the material in this Cobra different than what is used in their quick releases buckles? Also, do you know of anyone who imports them to the US? Ordering directly from a Canadian distributor usually is associated with both delays and Canada Post expense.
Cobra buckles are designed so you can't release them when under load. (though the version made for use on cranes for picking up armored vehicles is different - it's designed to allow you to release it under load) And the cobra breaking strength is huge, probably to the point where you'd have been cut in two by the webbing if the webbing didn't break before the buckle fails.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom