Recommended Wetsuit for Maui during July/Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last time I was diving Maui it was during the Winter and temps were around 74 for most of the dives. I had brought with me my favorite 7mm and I was way "overdressed". It was nice to be toasty on every dive but I rather skip all that extra weight...

I dive mainly and often in Southern California and I take the 50s fairly well in a wetsuit. I am going back in the Summer and the plan is to use a 3mm shortie. Do you think that is a wise choice or would I be going to the other extreme?

Aloha
I have dove maui in july and august. Temp should be around 77-79 range. I use a full 3mm and it works great for me. I will be goind back august 26 thru september 19 for my IDC, cant wait to get back. If you want to have some real fun diving on maui try these out www.mauiscooterdivers.com Best diving and great people.

I would say a 3mm shortie should be fine. I did all my dives last summer in shorts and a rash guard.

I wear my old 5mm full suit, but it's probably more like a 3mm now. :) Steve's right, if you plan for water temps in the 77-79 degree range, you'll know what exposure protection you'll need. One nice thing about summer diving is that you warm up during surface intervals, unlike winter when it can be cloudy with chilly winds requiring bundling up.

Aloha
I have dove maui in july and august. Temp should be around 77-79 range. I use a full 3mm and it works great for me. I will be goind back august 26 thru september 19 for my IDC, cant wait to get back. If you want to have some real fun diving on maui try these out www.mauiscooterdivers.com Best diving and great people.

Heard about this scooter outfit and will definitely try them... I did a scooter off Kapalua last time and had a blast. Unfortunately Kapalua Divers is closing this month

---------- Post added May 21st, 2014 at 09:09 AM ----------

I wear my old 5mm full suit, but it's probably more like a 3mm now. :) Steve's right, if you plan for water temps in the 77-79 degree range, you'll know what exposure protection you'll need. One nice thing about summer diving is that you warm up during surface intervals, unlike winter when it can be cloudy with chilly winds requiring bundling up.

Good point... the warming up during surface intervals should make a difference too. During the winter I was toasty in the water and out but it was cooler on the boat with a breeze...

I wear a 3 mil full suit. I have dove there in November, March, April and July ( each many times). A shorty is fine if you are doing limited diving- a dive or two for a day or two. But we ususally do 2 or three dives a day for 5 days. For that you will need a 3 mil full suite.
DivemasterDennis

I've dove Hawaii in April, May and August and all in a 3mm full suit. Was very comfortable on all my dives.

Back
Top Bottom