Recrational diving Islamorada, FL. Suggestion is needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roman_66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going with family to stay 8 nights in "Chesapeake Beach Resort" on Christmas week.
I found few dive centers around. The most close one is Islamorada Dive Center | Scuba Diving in the Florida Keys
Called them, actually they have all that I need
1. DIN 2. Nitrox free with 10 dives order 3. Ready to give me additional AL80 DIN per day for free with 10 dives order. I will connect it as stage (more air and redundancy). 4. Boat looks nice
They said that water temperature should be around 76F and I hope 5mm + hood will be enough.
This will be my first dives in FL and I am not interested wrecks or caves.
Dive shop has two morning deep dives and two shallow after noon dives.
Is it enough corals and fishes in Islamorada to see for 10 dives ?
Which dives are more interested in Islamorada : deep or shallow ?
Theoretical I have enough time for two packages 10 dives + 6 dives (or even 10 + 10) or do you think it is too much ?
Did somebody use Islamorada Dive Center | Scuba Diving in the Florida Keys service ? Any issues/special remarks/recomendation ?

I dove with them last year and they did a great job. Get on one of the Eagle dives. Its worth it. Also plan a night dive. Enjoy!!!!

At Key Largo, I've dove with Capt Gary from conch Republic Diver. U can tey to contact them.

Its been years and it was actually my first ocean dives but I really liked Key Dives in Islamorada. As for dives, very nice reefs and I would love to go back one day. But I don't think we went much over 60 feet on any of the dives and most were in the 25 to 35 foot range. Slinging an al 80 for most of the dives is going to be serious overkill. My absolute favorite dive that trip was alligator reef.

You have the reefs at 25-40 ft. Lots of coral and fish Usually done tied to a buoy

You have the outer slopping edge of the reef. 50-80 ft Much more open. Low profile coral and some big sponges. Less fish life but higher probability of seeing some sharks. Usually done as a drift dive.

You have deep wrecks in the 100-130 range with the 100 the deck on some. Usually done as tied up to a buoy.

I have never seen a pony on the shallow reefs.

Islamorada starts at milepost 91 and counts down. At milepost 100 is the Holiday Inn Marina which has a number of dive boats Horizon, Ocean Divers, Rainbow, Sea Dwellers, Blue water, etc.

Thank you all for info. I already booked flight and hotel for family, tomorrow probably will close with dive center.
Just thinking if 10 dives is enough in this area, or better to book two packages 10 + 6.
Regarding pony-stage, it is my personal issue in the head. Or I come with well trained buddy or, if buddy assigned on boat, with stage.
No worries, I trained to use stage and absolutely don't have issue to carry it in the water. Most my boat safaris were with pony or stage regardless of depth.
Only additional 35 pound to carry for 10 sec up on the ladder :)

I used Conch Republic Divers and was very happy with them. Lots of shallow 25 ft dives, that seemed to be where the wildlife was. Did one deep reef dive but that was disappointing. Really enjoyed the Speigel Grove and would go back in a second - that's deeper and you stage would hurt there. Have fun!

Just thinking if 10 dives is enough in this area, or better to book two packages 10 + 6.
That kinda depends on how much of your trip you want to spend diving verses time with the family. I just spent 10 days in the WPB area and did 17 dives and would have done more if they had been available. I think the quality of dives in the Keys can certainly support more dives but I would make sure the operator gives you a variety of dives rather then repeating the same dives multiple of times. There is always that risk when you go with the same operator/same area. Another option would be to book as planned for the 10 dives then consider maybe going to a different area for different dive sites. Or spend more time with the family. :D

I think there will be plenty to see that will keep you engaged for 10 dives. Though I also wonder if your family will start missing you. When I travel to the Keys, I'll often make 12 or 16 dives over an extended weekend and never get bored, though I also like the wrecks and don't mind diving on the Spiegel Grove or some of the other deep wrecks multiple times. If you want to try a couple of deeper reefs, request Conch Wall which goes from 45 feet down to 100 feet (note that the site might be a bit far north for your dive operator) or Dante's Ledge which goes to about 85 feet in the sand and is in Islamorada. Also, if you have clear water and no swell, Hen's and Chickens is a very unique shallow dive: however, it is fairly close to shore and can have lousy visibility if the marine conditions have stirred up the sand or if there is a lot of fresh water rain runoff.

Can't blame you on the pony thing: I always dive with a pony, either a 19 cubic foot or a 40 cubic foot bottle. Many dive centers will rent 40 cf bottles which might be easier than lugging around a full sized 80 cf.

I've never been out with the operator your using: I usually dive with Conch Republic Divers and think highly of the operation. If you decide you don't like the dive shop you've booked with after a few dives, try CRD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom