Recreational Ascent Rate in the last 15 feet

What is your RECREATIONAL ascent rate from SS to the surface? How often do you do a FIVE min stop?

• >100 fpm (I just go up)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 60 fpm (15 sec)

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 30 fpm (30 sec)

Votes: 69 29.9%
  • 15 fpm (60 sec)

Votes: 76 32.9%
  • 10 fpm (90 sec)

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • Less than 10 fpm (longer than 90 sec)

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Never do a 5 min SS

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Sometimes do a 5 min SS

Votes: 49 21.2%
  • Often do a 5 min SS, even for shallower repetitive dives.

Votes: 52 22.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With the advent of Surf GF, and threads like this one: What's your SurfGF and how does it compare to your (Rec) GFHi? ,
I think it's time to have another survey! :D

Personally, having looked at the heat maps and the change in offgassing on my Perdix in the last 15 feet, I have markedly slowed my ascent from my safety stop to the surface.

How about you, and why/why not?

My smb has a 1/8" inch thin line that I wrap around a 5 inch long SS eye bolt. After seeing so many DAN studies on bubble generation and what happens the last 15 feet, the only thing that scares me more is hauling many steel tanks at the dock when your body is exploding with bubbles.

60 seconds from 15 to 0.

Approx 15fpm for me. Primarily to keep the fizz down, but also as a more cautious approach to surfacing in poor viz / high traffic areas. Following the lead of someone else (sorry can't remember who) I've started encouraging this approach with rec and tech students for the above reasons, and so they can practise fine tuning different ascent rates.

Can't say, but as a general rule, s-l-o-w.

I know that anecdote, not even in plural, is data, but I almost quit wanting to stop for a nap during my drive home when I stopped corking from my safety stop.

I voted 10 fpm, but sometimes as fast as 15 fpm. I do this whether it's a tech or rec dive. As I crawl upwards, I usually make a nice pause at about 7'.

I've been doing 15-30 fpm, but Im going to start staging it, to slow it down more. After seeing what my tissue pressure's are doing on my logs, almost everything happens in the last 15-20 ft on my average Rec NDL dives.

Can't say, but as a general rule, s-l-o-w.

I know that anecdote, not even in plural, is data, but I almost quit wanting to stop for a nap during my drive home when I stopped corking from my safety stop.

That has been my experience too especially in colder water 50'sF.
In warm water 80's I don't notice it as much.

After all of 13 votes, I think I can say that I already biased the response in my first post, or there are only Advanced Divers responding here.

With all the ascent rate alarms I see on computer logs when I do their battery changes, there are a lot of missing 100 fpm votes here, lol!

I started a slower ascent (15 fpm) from 15' after my initial tech course and reading the DAN study on bubble formation.
I like that Shearwater added the feature, it has showed that it was a good decision for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom