Recreational Scooter for winter diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not an expert diver, but I suspect that you really need to rethink this.
Okay?
Descent and ascent are no big concerns of mine, but I’m pretty sure a DPV would help out in an equipment failure scenario.
Not asking about scooters to just carry around in case of an emergency.

I’m not an expert diver, but I suspect that you really need to rethink this.
strong currents
trees in the river (aka strainers)
no vis

This is how people drown

strong currents
trees in the river (aka strainers)
no vis

This is how people drown

Exactly. OP needs to be mentally prepared to ditch the DPV (ex. Hung up on tree, battery runs out, battery compartment floods, etc.). Not thinking about how he’s going to rely on it in an emergency.

I get using them as a fossil/teeth dredge. People do it off NC and Venice, FL. However, my recommendation would be to spend the bare minimum amount of money possible on a unit that’ll move dirt so that you aren’t tempted to make a bad call if you are put in the position of having to choose to leave it behind if something happens.

I’ve been black water diving for teeth and I’ve followed plenty of other people that do it. This is the first I’ve heard about people using DPV’s for that kind of diving. Most people in that situation minimize/streamline their setup to decrease entanglement risks. Strapping yourself to a DPV to get towed around would be the opposite of that. Just my two cents.

just wondering if there was a Seadoo or Yamaha style scooter that has good propulsion comparable to one of those.
I know several people who have purchased those. All of them have hated it and gotten rid of it. One person kept it and gave it to their kids to use in the swimming pool (somewhere around 10 years old). They're OK as a pool toy from what I've been told. At least one person had theirs stop working completely the first time out. They returned it and that was that.

Obviously all second hand info (now third hand to you) so treat it as suspect at best.

There's something called the pegasus thruster that's small and attaches to your tank or legs. I think there's a handheld controller and separate battery pack. From what I've heard there's not tons of power and it's more expensive than a normal dive scooter but it is much smaller.

The Piranha P1 is very small for a scooter if you only have the small battery attached to it. Look at the photo here: Dive Xtras Piranha P1 DPV

So, are we saying the lawn chair with twin cans is not DIR?

I think they said it IS. Those gooey guys are kooky sometimes, I guess.

94492E69-108D-471E-BE0E-84B7FA016E7C.png

_R

I see no D-ring on the right armrest.

I think we can go final...the lawnchair is DIR compliant.

The Piranha P1 is very small for a scooter if you only have the small battery attached to it. Look at the photo here: Dive Xtras Piranha P1 DPV

thanks for the info.
That P1 is almost comical looking lol, no way can I drop that amount on a scooter......... the blacktip really does seem to be my only option at this point :(

thanks for the info.
That P1 is almost comical looking lol, no way can I drop that amount on a scooter......... the blacktip really does seem to be my only option at this point :(
That's what's kept me from owning a scooter as well. The good ones are all fairly expensive. The cheap ones suck (or so I hear). More's the pity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom