Recreational Scuba Deco Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EDIT:

1. Seldom, occasionally, or often?
Occasional
2. Shore diving, or boat diving?
Both
3. Fresh water, or marine?
Sea
4. Buddy diving, or solo diving?
buddy
5. Rig?
D12 with Iso manifold
6. Exposures you typically plan for (i.e., planned max depth, planned bottom time, and planned deco stops and times)?
Planned deco time - <10min
7. Typical activities?
Ranges from training, sight-seeing to search (everything from lost fishing equipment to old anchors etc.)

Gas: Air, as that's what the LDS pushes. Banked 32% on its way, which will be the obvious choice once easily avalable

I am looking forward to your responses. (NOTE: I am NOT interested here in PSD-type nor commercial diving.)

TIA,

rx7diver

Edit: added gas in use

Since when recreational diving included planned deco dive?

My guess would be : since the beginning, until the term 'tek diving' was coined and a distinction was made between recreational (no deco) and deco diving (tek).

As JMBL says above, the rec/tec division has only existed for some 25 or 30 years, but scuba diving in general of course goes way back. So there are a lot of divers around today who learned prior to the 90s, when mandatory deco on rec dives was commonplace. In some parts of the world, planned deco on backgas is still a common practice among rec divers. I don't live in the UK and am not a member, but my understanding is that BSAC teaches this today, for example.

As a side topic, my YMCA Scuba Diver cert in 1988 included instruction in staged decompression using the Navy Tables.... We learned how it could be done, but were advised to not jump in thinking we could do it...

FWIW - I use the term "TechReational" for short deco 10 minutes or so....

BSAC Sports diving is deco planned air dives. I did my courses in 1986 - 1988. It was never anything more than diving. There was no nitrox back then. Many people I know who trained in that era consider it recreational diving it was not considered technical diving. Of course most of us dived on single tanks but we had tanks on the anchor line at the pre planned deco stops.

If doing a deep wreck dive we knew where our buddy was. Not many had camera's back then so that added distraction was not there. Also you had your dive watch and tables as dive computers were not a common thing. Oh yeah and the lovely J valve on the tank. So there was no specialty course for a night dive, or a drift dive, or a identify the marine life, no course for peak buoyancy because you had that as part of your core novice skillset. It was just all recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom