Recreational Sidemount ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see it that way ... if the comment was a PM to me, it would be a private conversation. Posting it in a forum makes it a public conversation, and it's common practice to discuss things on ScubaBoard that you've read or discussed elsewhere.

There are less than 10 people involved in that other conversation. And given the limitations of the forum, I'm looking for a broader perspective on the topic.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I disagree, and knowing that my conversations there could be yanked and reposted over on Scubaboard is going to discourage my participation on the NAUI Network. There is a reason why the network was not established here but was set up for NAUI members and only NAUI members so that we could discuss things amongst ourselves without outside criticism.

Jeff, is the fact that it wasn't quoted and the poster was left anonymous not an argument against that? I'm not sure what was actually said or who actually stated it, or what forum it was actually in until others brought it up. Had he have said "Jeff Heim said he thought NAUI was dumb in the NAUI-only forum, here's the exact quote: [whatever]" then I'd completely agree with you. However, it was only referenced as something that go thim thinking and this thread isn't about attacking the poster of that quote....it's a tangent than Bob (Grateful Diver) started thinking about based on another's post. Heck, I've had 2 threads started based on my PMs and didn't think a thing about it. One even quoted my name in it.

Edit- Having said that, if the person who posted it was obviously identifiable and it's something he obviously didn't want publicized....then that's a different story and I can understand the frustration.

Last edited:
I disagree, and knowing that my conversations there could be yanked and reposted over on Scubaboard is going to discourage my participation on the NAUI Network. There is a reason why the network was not established here but was set up for NAUI members and only NAUI members so that we could discuss things amongst ourselves without outside criticism.

Holy sh!t ... I didn't "yank and repost" anything. I paraphrased someone's opinion without identifying who said it or where they said it ... for the purpose of getting opinions from a broader audience.

Jeff ... PM sent.

Frankly, I'll most likely be leaving NAUI anyway.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with the disagreement: if the NAUI forum can't be gotten to by the public, it is not a public conversation.
However, without quoting, and no names, I'm with Zamora.
So I think NWGratefulDiver edged up against inappropriate, but did not cross the line.
And it was clearly a useful post....it inspired some thoughtful input.....

For goodness sakes, NAUI is imploding under their own stupidity, and that isn't what this thread is about. I'm hanging on to every word said, and you guys are whinging about whether conversations are or should or aren't or shouldn't be private.

Get on with recreational sidemount.

I switched to sidemount several years ago for my cave diving; love it. Did a class to short-cut the learning; worked well for me. Even took another class for technical sidemount...carrying stages, etc. I do not think I would have worked that out very well by myself.

I've got the gear to do recreational sidemount -- one tank or two -- and the cert to teach it, but have not yet taught it. Not sure I see the point with one tank, and two tanks edges away from recreational anyway. Now, maybe two 40s for ease of handling and weight, maybe, but now we are almost in la-la land.

I'll take some of the heat for this. If I had not asked for a link to the thread no one would have known where the question came from. Bob did not cross any line or even edge up against one. He asked a valid question of other instructors who have or may have a vested interest in the topic.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I owe Bob an apology, I overreacted.

One of the other questions posed was do we need to issue a c-card for recreational sidemount training. Obviously the student will want one, but do I need to see one to sell a sidemount rig or allow a diver on one of my charters diving sidemount without a card?

One of the other questions posed was do we need to issue a c-card for recreational sidemount training. Obviously the student will want one, but do I need to see one to sell a sidemount rig or allow a diver on one of my charters diving sidemount without a card?

Someone has finally gotten to the meat of the issue. Do we need to issue a card for liability reasons? My feeling is as follows: I don't want to see a card for BP/W, even though the vast majority of BP/W divers learned on poodle jackets. I don't want to see a DPV card, because the only real skill/warning with DPV is how to rig your harness, and watch not to go up too fast. I don't really want to see a drysuit card, although that's pretty close to the line to me, I don't have one myself. I was mentored, I ignored my mentor's advice to my peril, and I squished a nut. You CAN be hurt by what you don't know in a drysuit. Still. Do we need a underwater naturalist card to dive and look at fish, or a boat diver card to jump off a boat? No, that's silly.

Now, with sidemount (I'm not sidemount certified, but I have slept in a Holiday Inn) it seems to me that there are skills that MUST be learned to dive sidemount safely. Maybe I'm wrong, but there is the real meat of this thread which I haven't seen anyone really address. Are there skills that should be learned in a classroom/pool/openwater setting for diving sidemount, or is it like slinging a pony, so easy a caveman can do it? And if there are, should a charter operator require someone diving that configuration to have the card? Dive-aholic and Doppler, I would love your opinions.

As far as gear sales, no ... it's always been the case that you need to produce a card to rent gear or fill a tank, but you don't need to produce proof of certification to buy that same equipment.

Charters are a bit less clear ... boat operators make their own rules, and while some may be content with allowing sidemount on the boat without proof of certification, others might decide to require it ... just as they do with solo divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom